support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Circular Breathing

ArgoPete

Locality
Lilydale, Tasmania, Australia
Hi I read Pete's excelent article on diaphragm breathing which I am very familiar with. I boarded with a great NZ mezzo, Anthea Moller, in my uni days, and it was perfectly normal to come home and find a lovely young lady lying on the lounge floor as Anthea got her pupil to concentrate on breathing. Her recommendation watch Shirley Bassey on tv, no YouTube in those days, as the lass from Tiger Bay was given to bare midriff outfits and had great breathing technique.
However I have always admired the circular breathing of the Arnhem Land didgeroo players and for some unknown reason put it down to a cultural thing. Anyway I saw Trombone Shorty doing it on youtube and thought how dumb am I? Of course all wind players would benefit how else would flute players like James Galway do those long blows. Now I am learning music I listen completely differently and realised that Idriess Suleiman's 60 second hold on the trumpet in Juicy Fruit on the Hawk Flies High is probably impossible without it. Sonny Rollins seems to use it regularly etc..
Does anybody know a good way to learn it? My choked splutterings are clear evidence that I have not got the idea right. By the way I understand the record for one blow using the technique is 46 minutes !!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Look for Kenny G's tutorial on YouTube. But there are plenty of others saying the same thing

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Launeddas players start with the straw in a glass of water (few youtube videos about it)
Do not get frustrated if it takes a while to work.
The main issues for me are when to breath in and how to keep the sound quality when I am doing so.
I cannot do it on some registers or on flute.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Swimmers will have no problem learning this simple to do but difficult to explain technique. The simplest explanation I read was to take a mouthful of water and spit it out using mouth muscles, while breathing in and out through the nose. I believe it's quite difficult on flute. The smaller the reed the easier it is.

ArgoPete

Locality
Thanks for the replies. At least now I know that I am not imagining things despite the fact that I nearly choked to death on my first attempt :-( One of the things that tossed me was the cheek bellows as I remember Miles Davis saying how he had been taught to keep them tight.

ArgoPete

Locality
I believe he did :) I have just been watching Dizzy Gillespie, now he extends the cheeks beyond belief. Pete's article and links very informative. Interesting he learned via the didgereedoo. As for Kenny G, hey its so simple I should have it cracked by next week. In fact I also watched James Morrison doing an excellent rendition of Mozart's horn concerto on a garden hose. Now THAT IS EMBOUCHURE.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
The ceramic WC in question is, of course a new model of Wind Controller I presume.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Reminds me of a folk group I once saw - the leader told us he was renaming it to The Symbolics, he was Sym and the rest were a load of.....

ArgoPete

Locality
It appears that we have reached a level of Mozartian humour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANP9nWv2CWg 5 minute on .Good to see that jazz aficianados maintain the classic traditions. The Harry Carney clip is great thank you - it seemed to please Mr Ellington in the background as well.

Top Bottom