support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cigarette smoke smell

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
l purchased a king zephyr alto some time back, it had been serviced shortly before I bought it so seems to play quite well from top to bottom but there are various types of pads on it that it has collected through out its long life including a few white ones on the large lower tone holes which can't be original surely, did these horns come with white pads as standard.
The main problem is that it smells badly of cigarettes, probably either heavy smoking owners or very smoky clubs it's been played in, you can even smell it on your hands after handling it, will this have to be a complete strip down a wash in a bowl to get rid of the smell or is that not likely to get rid of it anyway.
It doesn't have its original case but a new plastic one that I believe was bought just before I bought the sax so that isn't a smell problem.
Any body know any quick fixes for smelly saxes

If a metal object smells of cigarette smoke, that suggests it's got a reasonably substantial layer of tar. I'm going to bet that most of it will be in the body of the sax where it's much harder to clean the surface.

More than likely the problem is compounded by adsorption of the leather pads corks felts etc. If this is the case the only remedy is a complete strip down and repad. A friend learned this the hard way after months trying to decontaminate a used Mk VI he'd bought from a heavy smoker but desperately wanted to keep.
I have heard it said repairmen would in the past blow smoke into a sax with the keys lightly closed in an effort to find obscure leaks!
Al

Bicarbonate of soda is famous for absorbing smells. If it has been played by a smoker, I would have thought most of the contamination will be at the top end. Washing and swabbing out the neck will help. I'd give it a good going over with a pull through and cleaning rod, washing both between sessions. Then leave it on the stand in a well aired room. A bag of bicarbonate in the case with it may help too.

If that doesn't shift it it'll have to be a strip and clean.

Funny how you don't notice the smell when you smoke and when you stop ...it stinks :confused:

My baritone absolutely reeked when I bought it - previous owner (or players - it belonged to a town band) obviously smoked a fair bit. I filled the crook and pigtail with vinegar and left it a day or so, then scrubbed with bottle brushes and repeated a couple of times until it came out a nicer colour. That made it possible to play without tasting the stale fags. Then charcoal in the case slowly got rid of the rest. I've had it a bit less than two years now and it hasn't smelt bad for ages.

If you do strip it and treat it to a good bath, a toilet brush is just the job for cleaning out the inside. I bought one just for this. And marked it, so it never got repurposed....

In this line of business, here is what I found that works well when bathing my horns:

51H6Y4VxSrL._SL1100_.jpg

A long radiator brush.

I few years ago I picked up a great sounding vintage tenor that reeks of smoke as well. If fact when I try and play it I even get the taste in my mouth -YUCK- considering that I am a NON-smoker DOUBLE YUCK!! And so regardless of how well it sounds it remains in it's case wallowing in tar and nicotine.

I few years ago I picked up a great sounding vintage tenor that reeks of smoke as well. If fact when I try and play it I even get the taste in my mouth -YUCK- considering that I am a NON-smoker DOUBLE YUCK!! And so regardless of how well it sounds it remains in it's case wallowing in tar and nicotine.
Oh what a shame :( Maybe you could try and clean it now, following some of this advice? Though that tar may be what makes it sound so good. Have you never tried cleaning the neck or mouthpiece to see if that helps?

I know a simple way out of this really annoying issue! Light up a fag, then another and so on for a couple weeks. The the smell will be gone... >:)

Back to reality, I have been a smoker and quit over 10 years ago (not even counting :rolleyes:) so I know what you mean. No later than this morning I took the train and there was a smoker. YUK! I can't stand it anymore.

BUT, back to life in the real world. @AlanT I guess you're aware there is a place called the yardsale here? I'm sure some members wouldn't mind bathing an old lady that can still sing beautifully!

Oh what a shame :( Maybe you could try and clean it now, following some of this advice? Though that tar may be what makes it sound so good. Have you never tried cleaning the neck or mouthpiece to see if that helps?

You are right Alice I must bring it back out and see what can be done. Between tenors and altos I have 12+ mainly fixer-uppers I had been acquiring with the plan to rebuild and flip but I kind of got away from it for awhile so many are just gathering dust until I get back to them. I currently have a The Martin tenor and a 'Made In France' Vito alto all apart and ready for rebuild. The smoky tenor is an old Martin 'Handcraft' Imperial with the action set low and fast so I imagine it belonged to an old chain-smoking club player who breathed as much smoke into it as he did air.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom