support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes Chutney Recipes....?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Anyone got any good tips on making chutney? Its coming to the time of year to get big trays of tomatoes dirt cheap & last year's tomato and smoked chilli chutney, though completely improvised, was pretty tasty.
So- do any of you folks have any tips on doing this properly? I suspect my previous success was more by good luck than skill....

I usually improvise too. Ingredients are usually down to what I can find in the cupboard.

For instance, last week I made some plum chutney cos Mum's tree was particularly fruitful this year.

From memory (poor), in it went (apols for the extremely approximate imperial measures):

nearly 3lb plums - stoned, not really chopped up much
1 pint red wine vinegar
1lb soft dark brown sugar
largish piece of ginger (about 2" of a good fat piece) finely chopped
1 chilli (don't know what sort - it'd been lying around for a while - from last year's crop)
small handful chopped dried prunes (they were there and I thought, "why not?")
raisins (probably about 1/2lb)
large onion (a red one, as it happened) finely chopped
2 tsp salt
2 tsp (or thereabouts) mixed spice

Boil till it looks about right and jar.

I had a lot of toms and chillies last years and experimented to see how many chillies I could get away with. The answer was - quite a lot. I shall probably do the same again this year.

Providing you've got enough vinegar and sugar to preserve it I reckon you can get away with almost anything (reasonable).

Nuts mate ... ;}

Walnuts are just ripe for a good Chutney recipe ... :thumb:

You'll have to be quick though ...

The squirrels are raiding my English Walnut Tree for their own kind of feast ... :shocked:

Back
Top Bottom