support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Chuck Berry RIP

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Charles Edward Anderson "Chuck" Berry is dead. So sad. He was Rock & Roll.

" I took my loved one out across the tracks
so she could hear my man a-wailing sax
I must admit they had a rocking' band
Man he was blowing like a hurricane!"

(From the song "Rock & Roll Music)

Everytime I play with a band there is at least one Chuck Berry song on the songlist. "You Never Can Tell", Sweet Little Sixteen", No Particular Place to Go, Johnny B Goode ....

RIP, never failed to make me sing, dance, tap a foot or smile listening to his music. A great performer.

I saw him at the Doncaster Top Rank in the early seventies. I even forgave him "My Dingaling".

Sad news, good innings.

True rock and roll legend..sad his departure,i have a couple of dvds of him in concert...magic.Bumnote.

I won't say too much but he really wasn't a very pleasant man.

Something wonderful about the simplicity and rhythm of his lyrics and just how well they matched the music on songs like "You Never Can Tell", "No Particular Place to Go", "Maybeline", "Memphis Tennessee" and many more.

We played "You Never Can Tell" (aka Teenage Wedding, aka C'est la Vie) on a recent gig and it was really fun - I tried to transcribe the piano part by Johnnie Johnson as well as the horn parts.

Rhys

I won't say too much but he really wasn't a very pleasant man.
Probably true but if flawed personality can be set against creative achievements we'd loose vast swathes of art, music and literature.

Probably true but if flawed personality can be set against creative achievements we'd loose vast swathes of art, music and literature.
I'm talking about rahtr worse things than a "flawed personality". Enjoy his music if you must but the man was absoluteley disgusting. I don't think I can go into detail in a family-frirendly way.

I the 80's and 90's Berry was also convicted for tax evasion and drog offence.

The trafficing story is not clear. Chuck Berry met mexican Janice Escalante in a bar in Texas when he was touring with his band. One year before that Janice Escalante had eloped (?) from Mexico. She was a prostitute in Texas and earlier caught for prostitution . She told Bery that she was 21. And Berry offered her a job at his club in St Louis. Escalante travel with his band and staff from Texas to St Louis. The job didn't go so well and she refuse to tell her birth day and year to the manager at the Berry's club. Berry fired her and bought her a ticket back to El Paso and also gave her pocket money. Instead of going back to Mexico Escalante call relatives that lived in Yuma, AZ, and they called the police. The Yuma police called the St Louis police.and the caught Berry after hearing Escalante's story. Berry denied. Myabe the did it? Who knows? The MannAct law didn't care. It was enough for man to think about having sex with a gril to be convicted. This is a story that I read when Chuck Berry won the Polar Price for some years ago.

The 50's were hard in USA. The white "Rock & Roll" business was very much Chuck Berry!

I the 80's and 90's Berry was also convicted for tax evasion and drog offence.
There is much darker stuff than you mention in your post. A certain video for example. Truly, truly vile. And the girl was definitely very young. And there was the time he was prevented from crossing a state line with a14 year old. I didn't want to get into specifics, but I hate seeing this kind of thing excused or glossed over just because someone made some successful records.

Well... Didn't Jerry lee Lewis have problems with the British press when he brought over his 13 yr old wife. It was mid last century. Times change.

There is much darker stuff than you mention in your post. A certain video for example. Truly, truly vile. And the girl was definitely very young. And there was the time he was prevented from crossing a state line with a14 year old. I didn't want to get into specifics, but I hate seeing this kind of thing excused or glossed over just because someone made some successful records.

Chuck Berry was not an angel.