All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Christmas is coming!

breathless

silly post really, but Christmas is coming and was curious as to what everyone would like for xmas SAX related?

ive only been playing 6 months, very fortunate to have a quite descent tenor to learn on but family are asking me what I want for Christmas, all I can think of is maybe some books (learning material).

im using the Yanagisawa N06 m/p that came with my sax so dont need another!
just found a good synthetic reed I like so dont need reeds, although maybe a spare would be good?

or maybe a Ligature? currently using the standard metal one that came with my Yanag- however I wouldnt know where to start, quite like the single thumb screw leather body.

ideas welcome!

rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal the Elder

Christmas is coming, the Goose is getting fat,
Please put a Tuppence in the Old Man's hat.

HAL

What

I am happy for now with what I have. It's perfect for the level I am at. So I can't think of anything but maybe a harness for me too try out.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Got mine already - a bari, and my daughter's complaining that I'm playing it and not waiting for Xmas.....

Just need a decent stand for it, and a pull through and.....

Zeus

My advice would be to get something but give something in return, buy something either from the Yard sale, or anything from the cafesaxophone shop, and thus donate as well, to souls that would really benefit from, i am also tempted from Ebay, but i would rather buy from the Yard a new/vintage sax, and gift my own starter sax to a kid, poor enough in my area, and save my soul and my peace of mind, by giving something too, for Christmas:)

navarro

silly post really, but Christmas is coming and was curious as to what everyone would like for xmas SAX related?

ive only been playing 6 months, very fortunate to have a quite descent tenor to learn on but family are asking me what I want for Christmas, all I can think of is maybe some books (learning material).

im using the Yanagisawa N06 m/p that came with my sax so dont need another!
just found a good synthetic reed I like so dont need reeds, although maybe a spare would be good?

or maybe a Ligature? currently using the standard metal one that came with my Yanag- however I wouldnt know where to start, quite like the single thumb screw leather body.

ideas welcome!

rgds Lee.
Hi Lee I`m alto (9 months.) but have been toying with the idea of using synthetic reeds. I have heard so many conflicting reports . Did you go from scratch with synthetics or use a standard before. I have the same view as you re. ligatures I wouldn`t know where to start.

At present I am using Benz supreme power alternating with the Benz comfort reed 2 but equivalent to a 2 and a half. The supreme power two and a half. Great reeds but at £4.10 each. regds N. alto TJ custom signature raw.Meyer 6 Mp.

Tenor only had it a month so training to be able to bear it`s weight load. Borgani Pre jubilee. Mpc Otto Link super tone master. Reed Vandoren 3 pretty useless but still experimenting. N

navarro

My advice would be to get something but give something in return, buy something either from the Yard sale, or anything from the cafesaxophone shop, and thus donate as well, to souls that would really benefit from, i am also tempted from Ebay, but i would rather buy from the Yard a new/vintage sax, and gift my own starter sax to a kid, poor enough in my area, and save my soul and my peace of mind, by giving something too, for Christmas:)
Good thinking Zeus . Regds N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I would love to have a contract (I am currently self-unemployed) but there are rumours that due to my mental conditions Santa will avoid me.

Zeus

Hi Lee I`m alto (9 months.) but have been toying with the idea of using synthetic reeds. I have heard so many conflicting reports . Did you go from scratch with synthetics or use a standard before. I have the same view as you re. ligatures I wouldn`t know where to start.

At present I am using Benz supreme power alternating with the Benz comfort reed 2 but equivalent to a 2 and a half. The supreme power two and a half. Great reeds but at £4.10 each. regds N. alto TJ custom signature raw.Meyer 6 Mp.

Tenor only had it a month so training to be able to bear it`s weight load. Borgani Pre jubilee. Mpc Otto Link super tone master. Reed Vandoren 3 pretty useless but still experimenting. N
Is the TJ smooth and mellow or free blowing, better than most starter saxes? What's your take playing with it 9 months now?
I also felt strain carrying the tenor on my neck and back as well.
I use Fibracells 1.1/2 and while they are always ready to play, and are way more free blowing, and with a higher volume, i keep coming back to the classic RR, that don't honk, when i play louder, thus far.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I also felt strain carrying the tenor on my neck and back as well.
Cebulla strap for Christmas, then.
He is a nice guy, you can buy directly from him, and "cebulla" was my nickname as a child (don't tell him and don't ask me why)

TomMapfumo

Hi Lee!

You'll have to get a ligature and see whether you can tell/hear a difference. A Francois Louis Pure Brass would be a good Christmas preset (or a Marc Jean ligature from Canada).

I have enough of everything sax, trumpet and trombone related so will struggle to get something relevant this Christmas. I'll probably just have to cope with receiving the new Adnams Broadside Eau de Vie and some of the Gin and Vodka that they are able to sell online.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I just bought my own present:
After 6 or 7 years working EVERY Christmas eve and Boxing day in Oxford Street (in three different shops), with the obnoxious shoppers and bags-bearing crowds, including the year when on the day before Christmas they called us to tell us that we were under administration (this was Virgin) or the public transport strike two years ago....

I will spend Christmas in my hometown, possibly arguing with my family, like in the old days.

Hal the Elder

092.JPG

I guess I have everything I need Saxwise!

Got a new Yamaha Tenor Sax, a box of #2 Rico Royals (10 for $25), a sturdy Manhasset Music Stand, a Korg Electronic Tuner, and a great Teacher!

HAL

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Christmas is coming, the Goose is getting fat,
Please put a Tuppence in the Old Man's hat.

HAL
I was always taught "please put a penny in the Old Man's hat" - clearly inflation has gotten through to the childhood rhymes now.

No hope for any of us!!! :))

Mel

trimmy

One day i will...
I was always taught "please put a penny in the Old Man's hat" - clearly inflation has gotten through to the childhood rhymes now.

No hope for any of us!!! :))

Mel
I believe Hal's version pre-decimalisation ;} you are obviously a young un Mel ;}

trimmy

One day i will...
I agree with Mel and that's pre decimalisation
if i want to put a line in there i will >:) but who am i to argue with the mod :p

and Mel is correct "if you haven't got a penny an ha'penny will do" it's old age creeping up on me

Hal the Elder

HEY MEL,

I too was always taught to "put a Penny in the old man's hat"...not a Tuppence!

The reason I changed it to a Tuppence was to show you Brits that there's a Yank out there who knows something about your traditional currency!

Let's see.....Farthing...Ha'penny...Pence...Shilling (bob), Crown, Pound (quid) and Guinea!

"OK, that'll be Two and Six, Guv'nor...say hello to the Missus!"

HAL

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom