Supporting   special needs music

Chords progression analysis Tokyo Blues C minor

Luc

Locality
From the French Alps, now in Algarve Portugal
Hi everybody,

https://app.box.com/s/hy8ddz30xnga64th0fmpriwfoosuo03a

Could someone tell me which scales to play on this grid and why?
I just know it's a C minor concert key which is to say A minor on Alto (the grid is for Alto).
I play a Fmajor scale on the first chord BbM7 and G major on the second Am7 and then a A blues scale on C7......to Am7 because a freind told me so. But I don't understand why?

Please someone could help me :headscratch:

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
I think most of the time, the reason you can play different chords over the ones in the song, is because the two chords while different will contain some of the same important color notes. Look at the two chords and pick out which notes are common between the two and see how they relate to each other. Like a root note in one chord may be the third or fifth in the other. That's my understanding unless I'm wrong.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Luc

fibracell

The chart says Bb7 then Am7. I'd start out with some chord tones, and then I'd be looking at Bb7 scale with an E in it -Bb lydian if you like, and resolve to the Am. Also you can think Bb7 is altered E7, and so play with E7 9b licks or dim scale licks resolving to Am.
The end of the tune is just a minor cadence to Am, so all your normal minor cadence licks or blues licks will work.

To get more fancy try approach notes to the Bb7 and Am chord tones.

hope this helps..

-Rob

• Thanks

Luc

Locality
From the French Alps, now in Algarve Portugal
Thank you Jimmy and Rob.
Is there a link in English where we can find "analyse de grille" of a tune. Word to word is grid analysis of a tune, but I don't know how we call that in English so I can't find in Google. May be Chords Chart Analysis?
What you both suggest sounds good but I need to understand better by some reading to understand better.

Thanks a lot again
Luc

fibracell

on the other hand.... I just checked out a lead sheet. The head is Bb maj7 with a flat 5 to Am7. So they may be soling using am7 petatonics most of the time. I couldn't find any recordings except the Silver one....

So maybe the Bb7 is a wrong.

Maybe have to load it into transcribe and work out a few licks that sound the best...

• Thanks