Beginner Chord symbols

1954pip

i just don't know what it means when things are written above music like,
Bbmaj7
F7sus4
Dm
A7/C
Gm7
just trying to play some songs out of 100 graded alto solos and was wondering what they mean
many thanks
pip

These are chord changes for you to solo over.
A Bbmaj7 is a Bb Major 7th chord. I would talk to someone more qualified than I am to help you with the structure and what each one means.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Pip you'll find the chords in a music theory/harmony book such as Jazzology. Good idea to look them up and get familiar with them, they're a fundamental part of what you're playing. Nb. they often have different symbols, depending on who published/wrote the music. Some of the sax books have 2 sets of chords in them, one line for Eb and the other for Bb instruments.

1954pip

thanks for your answers, i can't get my head round this does it mean you play that cord in that space where that is writen,
also not sure about cord changes either when you start guitar you have to use cords but with the sax you seem to use notes,
but i don't know much it seems to me the more you know the more there is to learn ,but i supose thats life,
many thanks for a great site for people like me who find it all a bit wierd to learn music.
all the best
pip

BigMartin

Those are the chords the rest of the band are supposed to be playing. The art is to find a melodic line that fits nicely (or not if you don't want it to!) with those chords. That will usually involve emphasising notes which belong to the chords, but you can use other notes in between them. Then you have to start worrying about linking each chord to the next one, and then how to build a whole melody that makes some kind of sense. Simples!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Or you take the easy ways out and just play the minor blues scale over everything... >:)

But seriously, leave it for now, play what's written, come back to it when you're ready.

BigMartin

Or you take the easy ways out and just play the minor blues scale over everything... >:)

But seriously, leave it for now, play what's written, come back to it when you're ready.
Yes, absolutely. I was merely trying to explain what the symbols are for when you are ready. Not that i can do any of this very well myself yet, so take anything I say with a large dose of salt.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom