support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Chord Inversion and progression

agganitk

I am reading now a days about Chord inversion and progression. Can anyone suggest where I can read more and see practice exercises on this for saxophone.:sax:?

If you want a formal guide to the basics of chords, harmony etc, try the AB Guide to Music by Eric Taylor, publshed by ABRSM and roughly £5 - there are two volumes.

Jamey Aebersold Volume 3 "The II-V7-I Progression" is an excellent resource. You can play scales and/or chords along with the CD accompaniment to hear how they fit the changes and then try improvising guided by those notes.

one of the best books i have read is the mark levine book calledj"the jazz theory book",
check here,
Deadlink Removed
it is,i think,so easy to read and understand....
not sure exactly what your after,but the best book i have used,when i was trying to understand music....
hope it helps,
philip

A second vote for Mark Levine's book. A great resource, and it will serve as a great reference guide no matter the musician's level. Also, for anyone interested in learning piano jazz voicing and hand position, his "Jazz Piano Book" is remarkable.

I like Mark Levine's Jazz Theory, too, and find his style and presentation agreeable and effective.

There is some controversy on the web about it being 'his particular' view of jazz theory... (fair enough, I have theories about theories which explain theories myself....) Some of these commentators recommend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/BERT-LIGON-COMPREHENSIVE-TECHNIQUE-MUSICIANS/dp/0634001760 as being 'better' (for one reason or another - you'll need to look up the controversy. You will find it on Amazon reviews, if I remember rightly.)

I intend to get Bert Ligon's book, on the principle that if one explanation/presentation doesn't hit the spot, another might. Two or more authorities to consult is the way to go with most disciplines...bit like taking two or three bearings when navigating, really...

To make the most of Mark Levine's book you need to be able to (or learn to) read bass clef as well.

But as being able to find your way around a keyboard is a big help for playing horns better, it gives you a nudge in the right direction... and cheap keyboards are available on ebay for peanuts - there is a discussion and useful information on another thread here: http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/keyboards-digital-piano-or-whats-the-difference.12806/

Last edited:
gidday...i do know my way around a keyboard like a second grader,so just okay.....
i donot read the bass cleff,but i found this book easy to read and to work out stuff...
it changed my life,just like finding an avocado....
cheers,philip

Another vote for Levine's book. As Zootsax said, an excellent reference guide for everybody.

OK I'll ask the question:

Where did you find the life changing avocado?
probably at a friends place when i was about 20years young.......then i haven't looked back,.....been scoffing them for years and had some on sourdough-toast this morning with vegemite and real butter....mmmmmm...
whjat about you in the cold country,do you have them on a regular basis,or on the odd occasion?????
cheers,philip

odd occasion for me, in fact very rare since one gave me indigestion :)

Jx

Apparently avocados contain the fatty acids found in fish, so handy for vegans or anyone who doesn't eat oily fish.

Tahini also contains something - I forget which - that vegetarians need for health and would otherwise miss out on.

Avocados fairly regular feature of my diet

They grow in Lidl

Mashed up with lemon juice and a little salt, they make a very nice pasta sauce (hope that doesn't offend @aldevis' sensibilities).

Edit: I am requested by my wife (the inventor of this recipe) to say that this dish must be known as "Pasta a la Filly" if you choose to make it.

Last edited: