Tutorials

Chord C1+2+5

RiceBag

Wishing everyone the very best, to start with, le me say: Hi dear people!

I am back after a while and have been busy unlearning old things and figuring out new (to me) aspects of keyboard playing. In particular to chords. Some of the things I was told here before have really helped me on this.

I have this little question: From a basic Major chord of 1-3-5, when I change it to 1-2-5, the software I use calls it a C1+2+5 chord when 1 is the note C. But I can't find that name elsewhere. What is it more commonly called?

I figured it kind of replaces th V chord (check me on this), but would like to know some other advice on how it is used, briefly. Also, why use the C1 and not just C? What does the 1 in C1 mean? Thanks!

PS: If C is 1, then the C1+2+5 kind of sounds like an F7 (4 6 1 3b) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
This is most likely some kind of guitar notation, I know nothing about this stuff only the regular chord notation.

Normally, (in standard pop songs and mainstream or traditional jazz) every chord has a 3rd in it so this one doesn't actually fit into the standard chord notation.

Nothing wrong with that of course, a lot of good indie and rock music has chords with no 3rd

OP
R

RiceBag

Thanks!

Thanks Old Git and Pete, for your kind replies.

The good name does seem to be C sus2, because "C1+2+5" looks like a math formula and did not match any search for chords.

Using C sus2, did get a few matches and info that says pretty much what Pete explained. It is an unstable chord that leads typically to its major, confirms my thoughts, as well.

I also would like to mention that, for my big surprise, this little chord seems to have a lot of tail.

I am glad I had forgotten that I have Band in a Box and that it has a midi chord detector. So I went into it and found this knocker (for me). It calls it G5/C and, as an alternate D4/C, not C sus2 at all!

THEN, I thought there must be some program like that in the web, and did find a good one, where one tags the notes on a piano and it shows the chord name. This one called it various ways: C sus2 , G sus4 , and D 7th sus4 with no 5. This program does explain that usually the shorter name is the best, except when there are 11ths and 13ths, plus other explanations beyond my current grasp.

Of all, I do like the name C sus2 best.

The program that generates the chords is at:
http://www.gootar.com/piano/
and I do recommend it highly.

It's got excellent graphical interface and does the sounds too. One thing nice is how clearly the selected keys show. The white keys edge out a milimeter or so downwards to show they are pressed, plus green squares on white contrast very well. On the black keys longer green rectangles show clearly when they are pressed. It can also very nicely display different scales (and play them). So this little graphical details on keys pressed goes a LONG way on helping one see the many keys used in a scale. For scales, I had seen in the past some other sites where the graphics are such that it's hard to see which keys are pressed. In the said site, the keyboard is also rather large, so it also helps visualize the details.

ALSO, found that the site has similar excellent program for guitar chords. It uses very, very well thought out graphics and details. It uses colors and shows clearly the root of the chord and seems very easy to choose chords and variations. Well worth seeing if interested. It's at:
http://www.gootar.com/theory.htm

I spent almost a whole day using the sus2 chord idea on a couple of different songs on different keys and really liked it. It is great for melody lines, I think. It also leads one to come up with alternate subtle ways of playing that seem to make my old ways less insipid.

I am glad I started first with figuring out how it works, rather than worry about the name. But it helps to think its name is Sus2 for the Apple people too, and hope Steve be and continue to be real well!

Thanks everyone.:)

Top Bottom