support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones choices, choices!

breathless

Hi all im about to start a lifelong desire to learn to play the saxophone.
id like some input on my choice of weapon ive narrowed down to.

a, Yanisagawa 901 Tennor.

b, Yamaha YTS62 Tennor.

also curious if the Yanis901 is as good as the Yamaha62 as the yanis901 is the 1st in the range as were the Yamaha62 is half way up the yamaha range ?

the purchase is being funded from the sale of my motorcycle which is the end of a lifelong hobby. I may also purchase an upgraded mouthpiece (open to sugestions).

rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wait another couple of days and another saxophone manufacturer will be along soon...

but seriously try as many brands as possible - both brands and models you have nominated are very good, although I am partial to Yamaha...

jonf will be along soon to nominate Yanis...

at the end of the day it's all subjective

enjoy the selection process...

Regards,

Greg S.

ok thanks for the comments, Beck- can you suggest brand names! I did a bit of research and came up with the main 4 but narrowed it to the 2 ive mentioned.

Im also curious as to the difference of the yam 62 and the Yanis 901, as the 901 is the 1st in the range of the yanis would it be as good as the yamaha which is positioned half way threw the yamaha range! (if that makes sense) ?

Lee.

If the YTS-62 is a new instrument it is now Yamaha's basic pro model where as the 875 and the 82Z models are the "super sax" pro models. The 475 and 32, and older 31 models were their semi-pro models and 21,23, 25 and 275 were the standard/ student models.

I see recently Yamaha have also introduced other model numbers as well - it gets confusing.

When I purchased my YAS-62 model 26 years ago it was Yamaha only pro model and therefore the top of the line.

The new 62 series have polymer key touches and not mother of pearl as with the Mark I series (purple logo and later engraved) models.

As with the Taiwanese models you could check out the Trevor James top of the line models, Bauhaus M2 series, System 54, and P Mauriat Paris horns - nowadays there is a lot to choose from and appears to be every increasing - the new Golden Age of Saxophone Manufacture (well maybe?)

I hope the above info is helpful.

Regards,

Greg S.

If you buy in a shop, your choice will depend to some extent on the country live in. Yani doesn't have a student model anymore. To repeat, many players would be very pleased to have either of the two horns you have suggested. They can also be resold moreeasily if you ever change your mind.

Lee, good advice above. Unless you buy at the bottom of the range/off brand, you're not going to go wrong. Play the saxes, especially feel how it fits your hands. How light are the keys, do the little finger keys work well for you - or are they too near/too far away. How's the neck strap ring placed. And for now stick with the mouthpiece that comes with the sax. Learn to play, then upgrade. Some of the more up market mouthpieces are really difficult to play, and are not right for a beginner. It's like starting a learner off on your BMW... Don't discount the 'student' ranges either. You'll spend the first couple of years learning to play, develop a sound and so on. Then's the time to splash out on something better.

As I understand your post, you are about to learn the sax. Given that situation, I suggest, if you are in a position to do so, either get your teacher-to-be or other reasonably accomplished player to help you in your selection.
:thumb::thumb:
Even in very expensive horns there is a fair bit of variation. I am just in thE process of buying a near new top line sax that the seller took to one of the top techs in the USA for a complete setup job immediately after buying it. After that it played very well.

jonf will be along soon to nominate Yanis...

:)))

And to try to dissuade you from selling the bike. Why are you giving up biking?

Seriously though, the reason that I'm partial to Yanis is that, prior to buying mine I played decent quality models from all the main manufacturers, and the Yani I bought was the one which was by far the best for me. I had the advantage that at the time I had been playing for over 25 years. You're just starting out, so if you could take along a good player whose judgement you trust that would help.

It's usually regarded sound advice to start with a cheaper sax than you're considering, but I can understand why you want to get a good quality sax, and maybe it's not a bad idea. If you get either of the saxes you're considering, they'll be very good, and will probably be all the sax you'll ever need. if you do ever need to sell it later, it'll sell easily. If you've got the money and are happy to spend it on a sax, well, you could spend your cash on a lot worse things than a sax.

You will need a good sax shop. Whatever you choose to buy may not play perfectly out of the box, but any reputable sax retailer should be able to set the sax up to a high standard, within the retail price. If it needs to be sent to another technician after purchase, then the shop hasn't done it's job properly in the first place. In the South of England I would recommend either sax.co.uk or Jonathan Myalls for a purchase. Both are trustworthy and have good technicians on site to help with the set up of a new sax.

Jon

Oh, and one other thought. The mouthpiece supplied with the Yamaha is OK, better than you get as standard with a lot of saxes, particularly the Taiwanese ones. The one supplied with the Yanagisawa is better, actually very good, with a good tone and intonation - certainly easily good enough to learn on.

Jon

Thanks for all the advise its all helps me to form a detailed opinion.
the reason the bike is going is mainly down to the fact that my eyes are starting to fail me, albeit a relatively new issue as Ive been wearing glasses for 3 years and in that time my prescription has just trippled. Its now been detected I have blind spots which are being investigated. Ive just last week had a more accurate eye test at the hospital and as alarmed as I was have been refereed for a brain scan!
my wife has for many years wished that I get rid of the bike but after getting back on it last year and scaring myself (due to not being able to see properly) Ive decided its time to get off for the last time.

My wife suggested that as its the end of a hobby that has been a big part of my life that I should invest the money in something else ive wanted to do for many years, hence why I wish to invest in a good horn as opposed to a learner model.

although I totally understand why it makes sense to buy a beginner unit, I feel for the above reason and that I may not get the opportunity again to spend this much.

I feel that if I buy a pretty good sax to start with it will be a long time before I need to reinvest!

Lee.

If one can afford a good one, but is a beginner, if you can find a good tech who plays sax in your area be worth paying for his time to help you get a good un. Gotta be a store where there are a number to try though otherwise a waste of time IMO

Others will have their thoughts but from reading here and sax on the web forum that of the big 4 Yamaha and Yani are most consistent with quality

The MacSax might well be on your list too, I have heard good things about their quality.

My wife suggested that as its the end of a hobby that has been a big part of my life that I should invest the money in something else ive wanted to do for many years, hence why I wish to invest in a good horn as opposed to a learner model.

Did you think of vintage saxophones too?

Thanks for all the advise its all helps me to form a detailed opinion.
the reason the bike is going is mainly down to the fact that my eyes are starting to fail me, albeit a relatively new issue as Ive been wearing glasses for 3 years and in that time my prescription has just trippled. Its now been detected I have blind spots which are being investigated. Ive just last week had a more accurate eye test at the hospital and as alarmed as I was have been refereed for a brain scan!
my wife has for many years wished that I get rid of the bike but after getting back on it last year and scaring myself (due to not being able to see properly) Ive decided its time to get off for the last time.

although I totally understand why it makes sense to buy a beginner unit, I feel for the above reason and that I may not get the opportunity again to spend this much.

I feel that if I buy a pretty good sax to start with it will be a long time before I need to reinvest!

Lee.

Hi Lee

In view of what you say, even I, as a long term biker have to agree the bike's got to go. What a shame.

In such circumstances I would think a good way to deal with the end of the biking would be a sort of compensation therapy - buy yourself a really good sax to make yourself feel better about giving up the bike. Hence i think your original suggestion for either a YTS62 or T901 is spot on. I'd suggest you take a trip down to sax.co.uk in Crowborough if you can manage it. They have massive stock and good technicians on the premises, plus Jules who's often around here. They'll see you right with a good sax which will last you forever.

Jon

thanks again everyone really do appreciate the advice.
unfortunately i dont know anyone personally that plays however I intend to visit sax.co.uk tomorrow as ive been talking to them since I decided to finally do something about learning and they have consistent with advise ect-. additionally Pete recommended them to me very early on in my quest and many other people have since.

And JONF you are bang on the money with your understanding of why ive taken that decision, it is indeed a form of compensation for giving up the bike, and lets face it! if the wife suggests spending the money why would I look a gift horse in the mouth??

of course im going to have to treat her to some retail therapy tomorrow but in my book thats a small price to pay!

an hour from now and what has been my trusty stead for the last 12 years will be gone from my home forever!!!! (very sad)!

Lee.

Yes, go and talk to Jules at Sax Co down at Crowborough. Courtesy of him I bought my Mauriat there (since someone mentioned Taiwanese makes). Not my first sax but it felt and sounded great for me and I love it. However the stock mouthpiece was awful and I'm glad I had my own. Just try as many as you can and even if you can't play much yet you will find some suit you ergonomically better than others.
Good luck
YC

I started in 1963 racing motocross and riding to get around in 1965. Road raced in the 80's but it got too expensive when they shut the local track down. I still ride today, a little more carefully than i used to I might add.

Still got a couple of bikes and a Vespa. My motto...... ONLY the Paranoid survive ......

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom