All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Chipped Mouthpiece

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Just dropped my Java T55 (only had it a few months :( ) gutted.......at first glance it looks absolutely fine but on closer inspection there is the tiniest chip (about 0.5mm) on the very outer corner edge of the tip - it doesn't affect playing but should I worry that the chip may suddenly get bigger? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

ArtyLady

Locality
Essex
Fret not

It's not going to get worse

If it plays the same then the worse you have done is chipped a bit off the resale value

Phew! thank you so much Ivan! - it plays fine and I don't plan to sell it on it's my favourite mpc :thumb:

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I agree with Ivan. Because of the way ebonite is put together it's unlikely to ever spread, split or shear. If it plays fine then it will be fine.

Chips that go into the tip can cause playing problems, those on the outside tend not to. As long as yours plays OK then you've got away with it. It would be really easy to make a smart arse comment about not dropping mouthpieces, but its so easy to do. I once dropped a Guardala mouthpiece while playing in the kitchen, which had a tiled floor. Mouthpiece slipped out of my hand, tip first and hurtled downwards. It was fine, as it missed the floor and landed pointy side down on my bare foot. It took at least an hour before I was sure the thing hadn't broken a metatarsal......

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
It was fine, as it missed the floor and landed pointy side down on my bare foot. It took at least an hour before I was sure the thing hadn't broken a metatarsal......

Ouch, I have nightmares about dropping my sop on the conservatory tiled floor and always use a strap if I have to play in there.

Jx

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
It took at least an hour before I was sure the thing hadn't broken a metatarsal......

The first 59 minutes were checking the m/p wasn't damaged.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
It's like the 'buttered side down' rule for toast ... mpcs always land tip first (or is it that you just breathe a sigh of relief and forget it when they land without damage?).
And I live in a house with all tiled floors :(
Glad to hear it still plays OK, anyway.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom