Tutorials

Saxophones Chinese saxophones

tom9437

Hi all. Has anyone tried any of the overseas saxophones. I was looking online and seen a ( lol Yanagisawa alto) A902. For £258 inc postage? Yes to good to be true lol. But just wondering if anyone has actually bought one and tried it.?
Tia

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Hi all. Has anyone tried any of the overseas saxophones. I was looking online and seen a ( lol Yanagisawa alto) A902. For £258 inc postage? Yes to good to be true lol. But just wondering if anyone has actually bought one and tried it.?
Tia
If you look about this site there's a great deal of discussion about fake Yanagisawa saxes in that price range

Nobody has admitted to chucking away 3 ton to own a chunk of yellow metal stamped Yanigasawa. or Yaganisawa, or Yangigasawa (you get my drift)

Colin the Bear

Some Chinese saxophones are very good. Some are not. There is no way to tell over the internet. If you use a reputable vendor with a bullet proof returns policy the only problem you may have is getting to know the postman very well. I've had my alto almost ten years. Wear and tear only.

tom9437

If you look about this site there's a great deal of discussion about fake Yanagisawa saxes in that price range

Nobody has admitted to chucking away 3 ton to own a chunk of yellow metal stamped Yanigasawa. or Yaganisawa, or Yangigasawa (you get my drift)
Lol got that thanks

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I was looking online and seen a ( lol Yanagisawa alto) A902. For £258 inc postage?

Putting the moral questions aside, you would be sending £258 to a company which you know is dishonest. I think we can assume that they don't care at all about you.

This matters at two levels:
  • firstly, they may send a piece of saxophone-shaped junk, if they send anything at all. There's no reason to believe that it will look like the one in the picture.
  • And secondly, the problem with cheap Chinese saxophones is quality control - some of them can be very good, and others bad. There is zero chance that the quality control has been thorough on one of these saxes, so it would be a lottery whether you got a playable one or not.

Last edited:

DavidUK

To save you from yourself, for £240 + £18 shipping I'll send you a tried and tested Chinese alto in excellent condition. A Jericho, as reviewed by Steve Howard on his SHWoodwind site.

That way you know it will play well and have a resale value.

NB. 5% of sale price to forum fund.

jazzdoh

But he would get a nice pair of white gloves.

Seriously don't waste your money on one of thees fakes.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Well, as noted by a few others above...there are Chinese horns, and Chinese horns...

.....this isn't really a fair thread title.

Because indeed, some Chinese factories (a few) can produce OK stuff.

But OP is really talking about cheapie knockoffs....whether they be downright counterfeits, or just super-cheap horns (i.e. $250 Altos, $450 Tenors, etc).

So...I will chime in here, having experienced a couple of these. These were actually purchased by a friend of mine, former bandmember....who had fallen for the somewhat-bandied-about-apocryphal-internet-legend that goes like this:

"well, fact IS, even the top-flight companies DO have their PARTS manufactured in China and then at best assembled in XXX country....soooooooo...these factories that do the parts just decided "why don't we just assemble the horns here ourselves ?"

..which leads - obviously, of course it does ! - to the indubitable conclusion that for all intents and purposes, these completely-fabricated-at-Chinese-parts-factories are, well.....the same horns, when you get right down to it.

Right ?

:oops:...

:rofl: ...

:doh:.

That's the...narrative.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Now....if you play 'follow the logic, there, you see how far you get.

But I digress.....

I HAVE actually serviced TWO of these....and one other. The two which belonged to my friend, who is an intelligent guy and a decent if not stellar yet regularly gigging player....one was a Yani soprano copy, the other a Selmer SA80 copy (alto).

They were foooooo#ing....awful. I mean, just the precision/quality of assembly was outrageous. Extreme key play, poorly threaded posts, key metal so light that if you rapped a side keycup moderately with your knuckle, you'd spring a leak. I could go on.

Did the LOOK like the models they were supposedly a 'clone' of ?

Yes, to the untrained eye. A lot of the most obvious aesthetics weren't a bad match...keyguards, bellbrace, neck brace, maybe the shape of the table and spat keys. But to a tech's eye, they could not past muster. Things like keyguard feet, the armature off of the F# key, certain key saddles, the details of the octave mechs, etc....those were giveaways.

Last edited:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
The two he had, were to me, unplayable up and down...although he had managed. But I doubt he realized how much English he was having to put on his embouchure (oops...forgive the alternative definition of the word).

Have people received these and reported being happy ? Yes. I suppose IF one gets one and out of the case they can make it play....they'd be ecstatic just at that.

But these are exactly what one would expect.

I personally cannot IMAGINE why someone would actually plop down $300-400 for a new knock-off Alto when they could easily buy a second-hand Jupe, Yama, Buffet 100, JK ST90 etc for the same price. Besides rewarding counterfeiters, you put yourself in a moral and possibly legal pickle when you (inevitably) decide to resell it.

NOW....the THIRD one I did....was a knockoff ....and I dunno if it was China or ROC...but it was laser-engraved Vito Leblanc.....and it was at least 3 or 4 years old. And it WAS a DEAD-RINGER of a Yanagisawa model which had been available in the 90's. They had EVERY detail down to a tee....key mechanisms, body ferrules, you name it...except two: ONE of the 9 keyguard feet was the wrong shape, and the neck octave key, which was semi-underlsung on the real Yani, was not on this one.

It was a really GOOD horn. It was built well, sounded great, intoned well.

But this was an anomaly. Someone behind this knew their stuff, considerably...because they knew that some folks know that Vito sopranos were Yanis, and then then made something which was such a dead-ringer...of a model which had not been in production for at least a decade... that a buyer would be convinced this Vito was a Yani.

So I add that just as a...I dunno....exception to the rule.

Last edited:

tom9437

Thank you as I said I was just curious nothing more. However it’s opened up a really informative discussion and different views. Thank you for your replies.

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom