All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Chilli Sauce

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
This is for those who find Tabasco and it's cronies bland/flavourless.

100g dried chillies (anything from Jalapenos to Habaneros, your choice, if you're not sure, start with Jalapenos. Mix varieties as needed/available).
Quarter bulb of fresh garlic, peeled.
1/8 to 1/4 whole lemon (fresh, make sure skin not treated with preservative)
red wine vinegar, min 5% acetic acid (amount varies, probably about 50ml)
15ml olive oil
2 rounded teaspoons salt (to taste).

Put dried chillies into a jam jar and cover in vinegar.
Soak until soft (24h or more).
Add remaining ingredients and make sure salt dissolves.
Puree with a stick blender until smooth. Add extra vinegar if needed.

Can be used immediately, but flavour develops over the next week or two. Great on most things, but especially cheese sandwiches, stews. or marinate chicken pieces in it for 24hrs before grilling.

Keep in fridge and use quickly (should last at least a month).

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mmmm sounds lovely. Ever try making any with fresh chillies?
Yes, was wonderful. This is based on that, but it was a few years ago. Am planting seeds now, Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Jalapenos and those little devil jobbies about half an inch long. So will be making some with fresh chillies as soon as they're ready - round about the end of summer, at a guess. Or I suppose I could buy some, but it means a trip into town and that's 2 hours each way. Come to think of it, I need to go to the instrument maker, maybe I could do it at the same time. Gets me away from the kids for a while as well....

TomMapfumo

Imagine adding some Wild Garlic. I think Chillie is a Tenor Sax thing and helps when making growling sounds on said instrument.
Good recipe, KevvyG! Will give it a try when our new kitchen is finally installed and I can clear the misic room of pots, pans and such-like!

Currently just having to survive on Stilton, Lime Pickle & Lettuce sarnies!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
last time I put in a new kitchen, I was cooking in the icrowave in the hall for more than 3 months.... Hope yours goes a lot better.

Dunno if wiold garlic would add anything. It's a little delicate compared to normal garlic.

TomMapfumo

Hob is fitted and the gasman cometh! Oil arf to troy that Wiold Garlec, next toym Oim in Devun, Kevun! Ooh Aargh, ooh aargh, aargh.......................:mrcool:mrcool:mrcool:mrcool;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Here's a slightly different version using fresh chillis:

100g chillis (piri piri/birds eye, habaneros, etc. ).
half bulb garlic peeled, chopped
half red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped,
juice of 1-1.5 lemons
1 t salt,
200ml Olive oil (your choice of virgins)
pinch sugar

simmer chillis, garlic, red pepper gently in lemon juice for 15 mins or so (until soft).
add salt, sugar puree
add oil and puree to a thick emulsion.
check salt and add extra if needed.

Bottle.

For piri piri chicken, either skin or prick chicken pieces ( or a whole spatchcocked chicken) and marinate in the sauce overnight or longer.
Then roast as usual - or grill/barbeque.

Bring remaining marinade to the bil and simmer for a few minutes and use as a sauce for serving.

TomMapfumo

Shouldn't you be giving us recipes for Choucroute, Sauerkraut Crumble and Frankfurter Salad - it's not as if you bear a great resemblance to Levi Roots......:mrcool Perhaps you should be known as "Lee Perrins"...:w00t:

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
I need to try this - my hubby LOVES this kind of thing. Would be a great stocking stuffer at Christmastime.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I know it is an old thread, but since I decided to get rid of my chilly collection, I might use all the varieties sitting in my cupboard.

One question: how do seeds affect the final effect? Should I try to avoid them to have a less spicy, more aromatic, less bitterish mixture?

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom