Saxophones Cheap sax

Mamos

I know, I know

but I would like a cheap sax to keep at work so I can play during the day when I should be working;}

Any of the current crop of cheap sax's out there worth considering?

Alto or maybe a soprano

Or if any of you guys have an old sax you no longer use

mamos

jonf

I think if you try before you buy you should get something decent for not much. Or, if you fancy a gamble, there's always the Devil's Junkshop. I bought a Blessing curly sop for £85, and it was actually really quite good. It's always a risk, but if whatever you buy turns out to be crap you can always sell it on again.

jonf

That one would be quite a challenge. Quite apart from the fact that it looks as though it's been used for air rifle target practice and has a really badly pulled down neck, it's also never beeen a great sax to start with. Buescher Aristoccrats from the 1970s were pretty poor.

On the other hand, there are often Buescher True Tones on ebay UK. Sometimes they're optomistically priced, but one in a cosmetically tatty order but allegedly playable went for about £150 recently. I got mine, cosmetically good, and definitately playable for £100.

Alternatively, there's always companies like John Packer and SMS Academy which will sell you a new sax for about £200. I don't know about SMS, but Packers have a shop so you can try before you buy.

thomsax

I would go for a Yamaha YAS 23. I helped some parents to buy a used alto for their son. We found a YAS 23 for 2300 s e k (c £ 200) on a private sale. Some minor dings and scratches other wise the sax played well from the top to the bottom. Some new corks that what they had to fix. A good buy. At the present time saxes are rather low in Sweden. Of course, the prices on Selmer MK VI are still very high! I had promised my self not to buy any more saxes but the other day I found a very nice silver Dolnet (alto from mid 60's) for 2500 s e k (c £ 210). A "need new pad, cork and felt" sax.

Thomas

Phil Edwards

That one would be quite a challenge. Quite apart from the fact that it looks as though it's been used for air rifle target practice and has a really badly pulled down neck, it's also never beeen a great sax to start with. Buescher Aristoccrats from the 1970s were pretty poor.
Crikey, it went for $100, someone's keen!

Sorry Mamos, I'm not helping your original request in any way, am I?

Phil

neil

i bought an alto from ebay...usual story bought for child...didnt get on with it etc....they didnt mention any name in the auction so i sent a mail asking for any details...turned out to be a gear4music....3 months old...i paid £78 inc postage...and it played totally fine.....if there is no name mentioned its worth dropping them an email.

OP
Mamos

Mamos

I have got myself a sakkusu alto for £185

I already own a sakkusu tenor and I love it so at least I am familiar with the make.

mamos

Pjonah

i bought an alto from ebay...usual story bought for child...didnt get on with it etc....they didnt mention any name in the auction so i sent a mail asking for any details...turned out to be a gear4music....3 months old...i paid £78 inc postage...and it played totally fine.....if there is no name mentioned its worth dropping them an email.
I just had my G4M alto set up professionally by Paul Egan and its awesome, there aint a lot wrong with em, for £78 all in thats amazing...well done.:welldone

OP
Mamos

Mamos

My Alto arrived today

Fantastic condition and plus a second mp ( Beechler Diamond Inlay) and a B&G Revelation lig:)

Play like a dream across the range

The guy I bought it off seemed really nice. I told him about BR he says he might pop in

very happy

mamos

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom