• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cheap bari sax

So after all ... the Dolnet bari is not a bargain. I didn't know that Dolnet made a low A bari. I think it's so hard to get correct information about the European manufactors and thier production of baris and sopranos after WWII.

Thomas

the definition of a Bargain has to do with local conditions, if things are expensive in Sweden it might have been. Baritones were always rather expensive but at the moment in the Netherlands, for some reason or other, there are lots of baritone for sale (I have 3!)

The tenor player in our big band has just bought a Gear4Music baritone for something like £850. He brought it along to rehearsal last night (is he after my place ? :shocked:) and I had a few minutes playing on it after we had finished rehearsing.

I play a Selmer SA80II and my impressions of the Gear4Music are very favourable. The action and ergonomics were pretty much as good as my Selmer, it all sealed nicely from top to bottom. The sound was pretty good, if maybe a touch soft compared with my Selmer. Intonation was good, with d3 being the only note that seemed a little off, but well within scope for lipping into tune.

I played it with my Lawton mouthpiece and I think you need a mouthpiece like that with a bit of edge in order to get the best from it.

It comes in a nice looking box case with wheels. He thinks it is a Chinese-made horn based on a Selmer, but I wonder whether it is more like a Yamaha. The odd feature that I haven't seen before is that the first octave pip is actually doubled up, with two pads that move together on two register holes that are about an inch apart. The mechanism looks as though they might move independently, but they seem to be locked to always move at the same time.

Gear4Music offer a three week money-back guarantee, but my friend is definitely keeping this one. Value for money this seems to be a really good baritone, as good as a Bauhaus Walstein that I tried a couple of years ago. I'd like to play the John Packer horn as well.

Rhys

Has anyone tried the Gear4Music bari? It would be interesting to hear what people think of it.

mamos

I recently bought one for just over £700, (don`t ask!) had it set up by my techie and I`m really pleased with it. Bottom end`s as easy and as good as the Yamaha, and it plays right through the range in tune and with plenty of punch where needed. The crucial bit is a decent setup! It`s well enough made, based on the Yani but with a far better low A, and is a much better buy than the average beaten up oldie that you`d be very lucky to get at around the price.

Any experiance with Thomann TBS-150?
Does it worth that money (even it's not expensive) or it's better to invest in Trevor James Baritone 3940 or Buffet Crampone baritone 400?

Any experiance with Thomann TBS-150?
Does it worth that money (even it's not expensive) or it's better to invest in Trevor James Baritone 3940 or Buffet Crampone baritone 400?

I would give the same answer I gave in the soprano post, you won't go wrong with a bauhaus for the money. That's what I use on baritone and the only bari I recently found that I preferred was 4 x the price.

I recently bought one for just over £700, (don`t ask!) had it set up by my techie and I`m really pleased with it. Bottom end`s as easy and as good as the Yamaha, and it plays right through the range in tune and with plenty of punch where needed. The crucial bit is a decent setup! It`s well enough made, based on the Yani but with a far better low A, and is a much better buy than the average beaten up oldie that you`d be very lucky to get at around the price.

I'm still playing the G4M Bari Paul sold me 18 months ago. Paul said it had been set up before he sold it. I'm currently having a leak in the top F# key fixed but that is the only problem I've had (probably due to me picking up the instrument awkwardly). Upgraded the mouthpiece straight away to a Meyer 7M which seemed to improve the sound instantly.

We bought a John Packer 'Cadence' Bari for school where I teach. It's noticeably better but cost twice as much.

A student of mine order a trombone from G4M. The first one came with an unplayable slide. That was returned and replaced with one with a fairly minor dent in the bell (possibly damage in transit) which he had fixed cheaply locally. It seems to me that you cannot rely on G4M to send out instruments in good order but once they are working, they are quite acceptable instrument at the very cheapest price.

A side note regarding G4M Value, I just bought a mint used G4M Strat copy from a Music shop for £29 !! as I`d sold my Mex Strat to buy the Silver 62 Tenor and wanted an Electric guitar of some sort.. the hardware (bridge/trem mech mainly) is crap compared to the fender but the wood, frets & machine heads are 90% there so is the playability once I set it up and the pickups aren`t half bad either. Once the trem thing is tightened down, I can live with the difference easily (fender trems go out of tune too). these are £99 new with an amp, case etc. I`m sure there are loads with badly fitted hardware, wrongly adjusted truss rods but despite G4Ms total lack of QC they seem to source amazijng stuff for the money !

How can you tell?

Hi all. I would add to the above, that having failed to get a Bauhaus a year or so ago, I picked up a 'Cadence' model at a very good price from the people in Taunton and it is one of the best I have played (and I've played a whole load in my time!). It's Taiwanese and easily matches the Yamaha or Yani' in looks, build quality, sound and playability.

Gear 4 music- not good!
They're good a complete beginner to mess around on- but to get a half decent sound you'd need to fork out another wad for a half decent mouthpiece.
May aswell wait around and see what comes up on the dreaded ebay- i saw very nice Earlham nice silver finish- only £800, if only i had the money to spare!

You need a decent mouthpiece with any of them, a Yani would sound dreadful with a throwin G4M mouthpiece too ! . thankfully Bari do a version of the Esprit in Baritone , it ought to be at least competant ...... as for Earlham, I`d not put money on it`d being better than a G4M, the Altos and tenors aren`t anyway, they`re just Generic chinese stuff. There doesn`t seem to be many chinese generic makers making baris so the earlham (if new) is probably the same horn as the G4M

As a pretty reliable rule, all inexpensive baritones come with rubbish mouthpieces. It's a shame, because these days, most inexpensive baritones themselves are pretty good.

The good news is that you don't need to shell out a load of cash to get a good baritone mouthpiece. A Rico Graftonite C7 costs just a few quid and is good. On baritone a Rico Metalite M7 is outstanding, and only costs a bit more.

The good news is that you don't need to shell out a load of cash to get a good baritone mouthpiece. A Rico Graftonite C7 costs just a few quid and is good. On baritone a Rico Metalite M7 is outstanding, and only costs a bit more.
I'll second that. I play a Graftonite B7 on mine. Works for me. And less than £20, I seem to remember.

Back
Top Bottom