• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Cheap bari sax

Chris Sax

Looking for a cheap bari (low A) if possible. Only need it for a few gigs a year, not bothered about apperance. . .as long as its in tune.

Was going to go for a cheap Gear4music or Thomann bari, but seeing whats out there.

Ta

Looking for a cheap bari (low A) if possible. Only need it for a few gigs a year, not bothered about apperance. . .as long as its in tune.

Was going to go for a cheap Gear4music or Thomann bari, but seeing whats out there.

Ta

Chris, I'm in a similar predicament - the answer is, b***er all, and I say that having trawled through ebay (UK, France and Germany), Musinex, Preloved, Gumtree and every other likely site on the web. The only stuff around at less than a grand is ancient. If you have to resort to new, have a look at the John Packer student model for just over a grand - I've played one and it's a perfectly good instrument, and a pro player I know swears by his.

well, I have this B&S Condor (also on offer here) for 1500€ (including a sizeable donation to Pete's fund ) with mouthpiece and case. But it needs being picked up here or we have to arrange for me to bring it , by bus, to London.

I thought that Pete had some good words about the brand, I don't know if it was in particular for the baritone

No, it was the alto and was actually many years ago now. I since tried to talk to Gear4Music about something and found their cusromer support very lacking, I also believe Stephen Howard has found that their initial good quality isn't as good.

Thanks for the reply guys.....i guessed this would be the case regards a cheap one.

Im sure Mr Howard done a review on the Gear4music bari. though this might have been a few years back......was there not also issues with there quality control regards their tenors & altos. £899 for a bari though

John Packer have one of their baritones in their 'Second-Hand & Ex-Demo' section for £686.61 inc. VAT: JP044 Baritone Saxophones A & B Models (I think they might have 2)

f586fd35-1f28-4d0a-a381-9d4500ee5fe0_108x250.jpg

John Packer have one of their baritones in their 'Second-Hand & Ex-Demo' section for £686.61 inc. VAT: JP044 Baritone Saxophones A & B Models (I think they might have 2)

f586fd35-1f28-4d0a-a381-9d4500ee5fe0_108x250.jpg

Cor, that looks nice. My experiences with Packers have always been good in the past and I have heard excellent things about their saxes, including reviews in the Clarinet and Saxophone magazine.

Rhys

If you're patient you can get a good deal second hand. I sold my Buescher 400 bari on eBay a while ago. It was a late 1960s/early 1970s model with big bell. It was battered and bruised, but played a storm, with a huge, roaring tone (Jules can confirm, as I bought it off him). There was quite e lot of interest, and it went for £670. I think that represents good value for money, and I've seen similar horns from time to time for the same sort of money. If you buy a super cheapy for £900, in five years or so it'll be worth less than half that. If you buy an old but good sax for, say, £750, in five years it'll be worth £750.

Incidentally, I only sold the Buescher because I fancied a Bauhaus Walstein one, and got one for a very good price, second hand but essentially unused.

of course, buying any second hand item which doesn't become technologically obsolete in time (in other words this doesn't apply to a digital camera or a computer or , under certain circumstances, a car) protects you, to a certain extent , from depreciation and it is always preferable to buying something new on the other hand there are people who prefer buying new musical instruments for whatever reason, otherwise shops would be selling no new items and that is obviously not the case.

Maybe cheap is the wrong word ....... priceworth???? I have a friend who was going to sell his Dolnet bari (I think it's from the 60's, laquered with nickel keys red thick pads). He told me that he was going to sell the bari for 6500 -7000 sek and sold as is (c £ 620.00-670.00). Needs at least a service, but I would say new pads, corks and felts. Otherwise the bari is in good condition.

Thomas

Gear 4 music- not good!
A player in our band had a Bari and a Bass made by them- initial thought was that they were good horns- fairly well built.
As you listened to it more- it sounds dreadful.
They're good a complete beginner to mess around on- but to get a half decent sound you'd need to fork out another wad for a half decent mouthpiece.
May aswell wait around and see what comes up on the dreaded ebay- i saw very nice Earlham nice silver finish- only £800, if only i had the money to spare!
Luckily im on a long term borrow of a Yani B-901. The best ive played by miles- even a second hand one came up for £1900- a steal at the £4000+ price tag.
Depends how much you're willing to spend really- but second hand will be best in my opinion- even if they need work.

Yes, it was/is a Dolnet bari with hexagonal keyguards and I think they are nickelplated as well. Maybe, the horn is still available? I haven't talked to the owner for a while. Hard to sell baris in a small country like Sweden. And beside, most bariplayers prefer the low A bari.

Thomas

these low Bb Dolnets are not difficult to find in the Netherlands and rarely top 1000€ in overhauled conditions , less if needing work. The Dolnet low A, rarer though they are, also fail to generate top prices. I had one which I sold on consignment (actually we split they overhauled the horn and sold it and we split the money) via very famous shop around these parts. It was sold in Switzerland by the shop at 2000€ net of taxes.

Back
Top Bottom