support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cheap backup Alto Sax

Kostas Greece

Locality
Kavala - Greece
Hi there my friends!!!
I'm considering for a used and cheap backup horn.
The spendable amount is 200 Euro at the most...
Any recommendations???
I just need it as a backup but not as a performing horn.
Thank you in advance for your opinion!!! :thumb:

Try an Elkhart series-II or better still the Elkhart Deluxe .. Taiwanese made quality horns which can be picked up for lowball money because people cast them in with the chinese cheapos ... Don`t get the Elkhart 100 series AS700 as it really is a chinese cheapo

I'd agree with that. Quite a lot of Elkhart Series 2s about, you can usually get them for £150. Excellent value, I've owned a few and they play well and are durable. Sax.co.uk's former house brand Sakkusu is the same sax with a different name on.

Agreed, better than the Elkharts but you`d struggle to get one for less than £250 that didn`t need a full service . YAS21 even better but even more in need of a service (Pads especially)

Thank you all for your reply!!!
At the time I'm looking for YAS 25 on e-bay. I'm waiting to see how much it will go. Got me an Elkhart Serie II as well but on UK e-bay. Have got to ask if they ship to Greece too... :headscratch:
I would definitely like an older 23 or 21 but there's nothing on the web though...
As ProfJames said a Roy Benson!!!! Aren't they the former Dixons???
Had a Tenor once from Dixon...well...can't say that it blew me off my feet!!!!
Now it serves as a night lamp!!! :confused:
Gonna have to wait for an oppurtunity to catch!!!
Thank you again my friends!!!!:cheers:

I would suggest a vintage Amati Super Classic which occasionally pop up on ebay for a bargain. A Czech made horn which is surprisingly a decent player.

Thank you all for your reply!!!
At the time I'm looking for YAS 25 on e-bay. I'm waiting to see how much it will go. Got me an Elkhart Serie II as well but on UK e-bay. Have got to ask if they ship to Greece too... :headscratch:
I would definitely like an older 23 or 21 but there's nothing on the web though...
As ProfJames said a Roy Benson!!!! Aren't they the former Dixons???
Had a Tenor once from Dixon...well...can't say that it blew me off my feet!!!!
Now it serves as a night lamp!!! :confused:
Gonna have to wait for an oppurtunity to catch!!!
Thank you again my friends!!!!:cheers:
Roy Benson are not Dixon. Google Roy Benson and you will see they are made in Korea I believe and assembled in Germany. Great value. The sop is excellent and I also have one of their altos (AS 202).

Thank you again my friends for your help!!
Decided to get me an Elkhart serie 2 as a backup. I'll post an overview as soon as I get it in my hands!!

Me too . the Altos I played were just fine and had a nice sound, a lot better than the Tenor version I played last week

It costed me 150 BPounds.
The photos I saw it was in almost like new condition. Even the Neck cork was almost new!!
Now I'm waiting to close the transaction (paypal takes some time) and get the package!
I hope in less than 2 weeks to have the horn.:sax:

The Price is about right for a minter - used / tired looking ones go for around £100-£130 .. I`m sure you`ll find it a good backup, I`d have no issues gigging the ones I tried (if I gigged Alto that is)

I`ve just got its Semi-Pro Brother , the Deluxe (in Sakkusu guise) and that would give a Yam 475 or a TJ SR a run for its money in build , action and handling (sounds more like a Selmer than a TJ or Yamaha though) , it was more than £150 though of course...

For the record, for anyone in the UK looking for an Elkhart Deluxe , there`s one here for sale, it`s not seen much use from what the dealer told me when I asked (I was going to get it if the Sak I was offered in PX for my synth hadn`t been a Deluxe model) .... this is a very good price for a Deluxe especially from a dealer

http://shop.musical-money.co.uk/woo...xophone-outfit-great-playing-student-sax.html

Last edited:
Roy Benson are not Dixon. Google Roy Benson and you will see they are made in Korea I believe and assembled in Germany. Great value. The sop is excellent and I also have one of their altos (AS 202).
hello again...i did look that website up,all i could find was it said"engineered in germany",that usually means it is made in asia...
i did also try to email them but found no link,stopped looking after 10minutes or so...
cheers,philip

Roy Benson get varied reviews on the forums from "steer clear" (SOTW) to "Love `em" (Prof) . maybe like others, they got worse or better in time (Conn Selmer AS700) or changed factories and took a downturn (Sakkusu) ..

hello again...i did look that website up,all i could find was it said"engineered in germany",that usually means it is made in asia...
i did also try to email them but found no link,stopped looking after 10minutes or so...
cheers,philip
Let me see what I can do for you Philip, back shortly!

No it isn't on the site. I found out last year by trawling the internet. Can't remember now but I believe they are manufactured in Korea and assembled in Germany. I bought a brand new curved sop - list price £470 - for £250, brand new from a guy who said he was going travelling and it was a present. It has been the most used horn I own and I am really impressed. The alto is good value, nice tone, good quality.

Back
Top Bottom