PPT

Saxophones Cheap and reliable alto sax?

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
I am contemplating getting another alto sax!

This would be as a teaching accessory, not for me to play, but for anyone who "fancies playing sax" to have a go on before getting something themselves.

I thought something in the Yamaha 23/25/275/280 line might be a good place to start, but wondered if any others spring to mind.
I have also looked at Jupiter 500 or 700 and a Trevor James the Horn.

The cheaper the better, but up to £350-400 would be my ball park, and needs to be an easy blow and reliable.

Oh and ones to avoid too!

(And maybe the moon on a stick while we are at it ?!)

Any suggestions

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
All those mentioned sound good I would add a Hanson to the list.

Jx

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Good idea. It is also good to have a "loaner" on hand for when a student's sax is in the shop. (It removes their excuse for not practicing their lesson.) >:)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
oops forgot and as Pete has pointed out elsewhere a Jericho may be an option and if you buy via TTS you will be helping the fundraising

Jx

Ads

Locality
North West UK
that kinda cash will get you a nice Yamaha easily - easiest horns to sell if you give up alto later on too and they last decades ..

I think @DavidUK has a 275 up for grabs? dunno how much it is but you can`t go wrong there . I`d certainly not suggest buying a new horn - best value is used :D

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
If it's not going to be your personal sax there are some good stencils about. I have a Vito, they come as Yamahas, Beaugniers and others perhaps not so good, the downside is the re-sale value, mine has become my "holiday sax".

As always with buying cheap, be careful.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
you can get a lot of used Sax for £300 (a lot better than a Jericho) though trimmy, a Hanson SA8 for a start ! (you and I have seen them pass by on Fleabay at under that figure and you know what an excellent sax that is) even the Hanson SA5 is very worthy (It`s a Buffet 400) , Yamaha 25 & 23, Taiwanese classics like the TJ Revolution-II , Sakkusu Tick, Elkhart Deluxe and Jupiter 7 series --- all of which I`d choose long before a new Jericho .. then there are the Vitos mentioned, TJ Classic-IIs etc .....

a used G4M could be had for just over £100 and well worth inverstigating so long as it`s a good sample - great to have a go on or as an occasional horn .

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
It's not for Mandy or a back up its for her students, £279 and the peace of mind of warranty !
There are better but for what Mandy needs it for i would go for the Jericho, my tenor is a great sax and a Jericho

Ads

Locality
North West UK
It`s a sax Trim, not an electronic piece of kit which needs a warranty , so long as its playing properly when received a warranty is unlikely needed because all that`ll happen will be player inflicted and wear and tear neither of which are covered --

Yamahas take abuse and simply don`t seem to wear , you know Hanson and their support - I`d still suggest not spending nearly £300 on a new Chinese sax (unless its a Bauhaus on the cheap ;) .. far better value is found elsewhere ..

Seriously - Mandy, the best thing you can do is get DavidUK to find you something, if it`s passed through his hands, it`ll be Bang on (he takes no Prisoners when it comes to returning stuff that`s not 100%) and he sells stuff for sensible money . if he can`t russle something up , there`s something wrong

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
It`s a sax Trim,

Seriously - Mandy, the best thing you can do is get DavidUK to find you something, if it`s passed through his hands, it`ll be Bang on (he takes no Prisoners when it comes to returning stuff that`s not 100%) and he sells stuff for sensible money . if he can`t russle something up , there`s something wrong
Couldn't disagree with that statement except it's double M....Trimm ;)

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`m sure he had a YAS275 kicking about, it`d be Perfect , those things are student proof, dead easy to play end to end, last forever even when pubbed to death by hardened Pros who leave their poncey flash horns at home, sound fantastic and keep their value ..

I won`t mention CashConverters/Generator (for wrath of a lecture on Prawn shops) but if I spot a 275 or whatever in that bracket I`ll post a link

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
It`s a sax Trim, not an electronic piece of kit which needs a warranty , so long as its playing properly when received a warranty is unlikely needed because all that`ll happen will be player inflicted and wear and tear neither of which are covered --
but - pads drop out, corks fall off, new saxes aren't in adjustment, necks are loose/ill fitting. The guarantee, especially for someone starting, is a big plus. And even for an experienced player it's good to have.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
but - pads drop out, corks fall off, new saxes aren't in adjustment, necks are loose/ill fitting. The guarantee, especially for someone starting, is a big plus. And even for an experienced player it's good to have.
True....remember the Bauhaus Bari saga :eek:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
This is why I recommend getting a used sax from a reputable source (Griff, DavidUK, Melissa etc are easily within that category as are other café regulars who sell stuff here) as anything will have been sorted beforehand - same goes if bought cheap from a CC and then setup/tweaked/looked over by Connollys etc .

also with quality saxes like Yam, TJ, Hanson etc, there is far less chance of these things happening anyway , there`s nothing worse than buying a brand new sax only to have to ship it back to have the action fixed or a pad glued back in . There was an option that if you bought a Jericho Direct you could either choose from a Café discount OR a setup from Stephen Howard ,the latter is a big plus and pretty essential stuff with this kind of horn but I don`t know if this offer is still on ..

The Bauhaus bari had been shipped with vastly inadequate packing - no one on this forum would ship that poorly and the dealer would have sorted and responded the same if it was a used sax he`d sent , as would any other respectable dealer, New Horn warranty didn`t come into the eqasion as the damage was inflicted by a courier

Vlad

Locality
S/E UK
As above, a second hand cheapie that's sorted and playing has to be the way ahead :)

Ads

Locality
North West UK
TJ Classic MK1 (ideal starter or even gigging sax at a great price) now in Yard sale with pics etc

http://cafesaxophone.com/threads/tj-the-horn-classic.16792/#post-231248

BTW I`d much rather have this horn over a Jericho any day of the week (I`d rather have one over a Chinese Bauhaus Walstein too), TJ like Hanson are always there to look after their stuff .. , I`m not just saying ths because I`m selling it and I mean that sincerely, these are damn good solid reliable horns

Last edited:

Vlad

Locality
S/E UK
^The TJ looks a great little deal.... if I was after a decent usable spare alto, I'd grab that like a shot !

Ads

Locality
North West UK
It`s a while since I`ve played one of these Origjnal "the Horn" Classics and it`s a seriously good sax - not quite as fast or slick under the fingers as an Elkhart Deluxe / Sak Tick (which I`d put against an £1100 TJ SR anyday) but it`s fast enough and just as well made .. it has a more lively engaging sound than the Elky Deluxe / SA80 / Sakkusu Tick - less "rude" than a Yamaha 21/280/Pruple 62 so hard to describe the sound, A Yani with Attitude comes close

Featured

Top Bottom