All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

cheap and delicious humous

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
The same dinner with Sean Hooper which gave us ideas for dips produced this. Again, we had never thought of making our own. Since then we have saved a bomb compared with buying humous, and have developed lots of variations.

Note: what makes this home-made humous so much better than a lot of shop stuff is that they often use vegetable oil, which is greasy and isn't anything like as nice in humous as olive oil. Use extra virgin if you have it - you will notice the difference.

Ingredients

Olive oil (extra virgin is best)
one or two cloves of garlic, crushed
juice of one lemon
light tahini - about two or three dessertspoonfuls or so. Difficult stuff to measure!
one tin of chick peas, well drained and rinsed
a pinch or three of salt
black pepper, ideally freshly ground
splash of water if required

Method

Pour olive oil into the base of a food processor - about three millimeters deep. In our old Kenwood Chef it just covers the bottom cutter.

Add everything else and whizz! If after a minute or so it still looks a bit granular and unintelligent, add a tiny amount of cold water.

Variations: No lemons? Try an orange for a different taste. Grapefruit (half is enough) makes it fluffy but nice (I knew a girl like that once.) No fruit, but you do have pure lemon or orange or grapefruit juice? Go ahead! We have tried apple juice when we had a humous crisis but no other fruit or juice. We often add a splash of apple juice instead of water.

Using dried chick peas, soaked overnight: tried it, but it doesn't seem to work anything like as well as tinned.

I even made some with butter beans once, when I opened the wrong can! It was different, but OK.

TomMapfumo

Sounds very good!

Two things:
1. I would add either powdered coriander or powdered cumin to taste as this adds a hidden depth to the final product.
2. I would add a little water which helps the olive oil to emulsify - the odd teaspoon or so.

Excellent stuff!

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I do it exactly as kernewegor describes, as modified by TomMapfumo, though usually with a bit more lemon juice. Sometimes with lemon zest too, if I really want it lemony.

I have also added coriander leaves whilst it's all whizzing round. I love coriander. Oh, and there's a Japanese spice blend called shichimi togarashi (dried chillis and six other ingredients including sesame seeds and citrus peel) which sprinkled on top or mixed in adds a lovely kick and depth of flavour.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
Oh, and I have tried it with a tin of mixed beans to good effect, too. It's worth experimenting with those unloved tins in the back of the larder :)

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom