M/Pieces - Ligs Charlie Parker sound (SYOS)

Päng

Hello,

so talking to SYOS, wonderings if they did any replicas or something to replace a Brilhart Tonalin. Trying to get a Charlie Parker vibe ( I know gear dosn't make the player). Since they had this comparison and suggestion for Brilhart Ebolin pieces.

SYOS defines their custom mouthpieces by sound characteristics of the player. So could you help med describe Parkers sound.
To get some varied input?

I would say its focus and on the brighter side of the scale.

Please humor me.

Thanks

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Based on my very limited experience, I’m not sure there is a “Charlie Parker Sound”. It seems to me to vary quite a lot from one recording to another, and it also depends on how the recording has been re-mastered.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Probably apart from 'bright' and 'dark' everyone seems to mean something different with the words they use to describe saxophone sound. It's a pointless task trying to put a sound in words.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
This may be of interest.

I like my Tonalins. I have one alto's and two tenor's, one of witch I had refaced by @Phil and it's great!

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
Gearing up to do Parker is almost a contradiction.
Horns in pawn shops...playing what he could get his hands on...multiple and probably countless mouthpieces owned or borrowed.

...Parker brought has setup wherever he went...himself.

There isnt a lot of talk about Parker's tone. It wasnt the gear, it wasnt his tone. It was the creating or at least partial creation of an entire new way of hearing.

My only gear advice is that a lot of his stuff can be difficult. Have a piece with a fast response. The rest is just hard work.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
I remember playing Aaron Drake's "clone" of Bird's actual mouthpiece.

I sounded nothing like Charlie Parker - in fact I could get that kind of sound way better with my mouthpiece.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I remember playing Aaron Drake's "clone" of Bird's actual mouthpiece.

I sounded nothing like Charlie Parker - in fact I could get that kind of sound way better with my mouthpiece.
As Phil says, it's not the gear that needs cloning, it's the man himself!

And Pete, I can't say you look anything like a clone of Parker...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
When people talk about a players sound, I think of two thinks:

The core tone of the player plus the gear. This can be measured in frequencies and decibels and can be quite easily matched. However the added value is what the player does with that raw timbre, and this is the articulation, dynamic, pitch etc. all the things that go to make up what we call expression. All of those expressive parameters can happen within one note and to varying degrees.

I like to differentiate by calling (1) tone and (2) sound.

More of that here:

So there are two reasons why chasing a sound via equipment is pointless:

• No mouthpiece can be made that garantees x timbre - it is combination of the mouthpiece geometry and the player mouth/facial physiognomy (guess what? we are all different in that respect)
  • Even if it did, without the expressive parameters it is meaningless and will sound nothing like the player, even if the basic timbre and frequencies are similar.
Only very broad descriptions of a mouthpiece's inherent tone are of any value. Having said that some mouthpiece I find have a tendency to "dictate" your tone, others allow more versatility.

sizzzzler

let’s all assume Pang needs advice on a decent setup to get a bepop sound, speed and precision on an alto. What do we suggest and please keep the cost modest and no eBay butchered to an 8 tip vintage pieces.

I’d say go Vandoren. An SO Lig, a medium chamber hard rubber 4-5 tip V16, and a traditional 2-3 reed.

Phil

If he wants a tonalin I have one here and the price will include a reface
Cafe Donation of course.
Its a bit more than a vandoren but there are lots of options.

Top Bottom