All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
  • Here you can post movies listed on TMDB: rate, review and discuss .

To post a thread with poster and cast info, go to TMDB, search for a movie and add the URL or just the ID (number in the URL) as the title of the post. It will then populate the post with poster image and info. Note TV shows must be in the TV forum
ArtistWorks

Charles Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Charles Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog

Tagline: A thorough, poignant profile of jazz legend Charlie Mingus.

Genre: Music, Documentary

Director: Don McGlynn

Cast: Charles Mingus, Gunther Schuller

Release: 2004-10-24

Runtime: 78

Plot: Don McGlynn's uncompromising and soulful documentary look at the tumultuous life of musician and rebel Charles Mingus is fascinating stuff. Mingus said of himself "I am half black man, half yellow man, but I claim to be a Negro. I am Charles Mingus, the famed jazz musician--but not famed enough to make a living in America." His statement summed up the conflict that plagued this musical genius his entire life: volatility, pain, prescience, and raw rage roiled inside a complex man, composer, bass player, and trombonist who transcended labels and refused to be pigeonholed into a single musical style--and who did not achieve real fame until late in his career.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Charles Mingus - I read his autobiography, which is utterly dreadful if you were wondering, and learned nothing about the man. This wonderful and eye-opening documentary, on the other hand, is both highly entertaining while also giving you a real idea of the man, his angels and his demons.

Dibbs

Charles Mingus - I read his autobiography, which is utterly dreadful if you were wondering, and learned nothing about the man. This wonderful and eye-opening documentary, on the other hand, is both highly entertaining while also giving you a real idea of the man, his angels and his demons.

Yes it was dreadful. I read it when it was first published. That was kind of eye-opening to 15 year old me.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Where would one find this 'ere documentary? by the way- like the new location on your profile!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom