All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Charles Mingus "More than just a playback"

navarro

Hi Everyone, I have just purchased the "More Than Just A Playback" very instructive CM book. In the book the various contributors refer to "The Fake Book" I have seen this on Amazon but just wondered if anyone had actually read a copy before I buy one. Or am I just replicating the More than just a playback. Regds.N

rhysonsax

I've got both "More than a fake book" and "More than a play-along". The Play-along has 14 tunes and is really good, with an extra CD featuring Seamus Blake on tenor.

The Fake Book has no CD (obviously !) but does have concert pitch lead sheets for 55 Mingus compositions. But there's more than just the usual lead sheet, with some notes, some variations, a few handwritten sheets by Mingus himself, a few tunes where different instrument lines are written out.

So it's not just a replication - there are many more tunes, no CD (play-along or performance). Is that what you want ?

Rhys

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I do have it (in a different country, unfortunately).

It's not the kind of book you read with a saxophone in your hands. Pencil, records, harmony book...
It is a beauty. An it includes "Charles Mingus' toilet training for cats".

navarro

Thanks Rhys and aldevis, I have decided to get the fake book. The more I read about Mr Mingus and his music the better. What a man I am sure some director will make a movie about his life if they have not done so already. Best Regards N

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom