Beginner Changing Keys

At THIS point, I’m SUCH a newbie, that I’m looking at all those keys that aren’t directly under a finger, and wondering how in the DEVIL am I going to play THOSE?!

Seems like someone designed keys for every part of my hand to lean on, roll over, twist around, etc!!
For the life of me, I can’t IMAGINE how ya’ll figure it all out!!

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
As a beginner, I think the only key you have to worry about that isn't under a finger is the side B-flat.
You can happily ignore the rest of them at first.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Just ignore them for the time being. Concentrate on the keys under the fingers and the tables under the pinky fingers. Only side key you might need at the moment is the Bb key, but you don't need to use that, because there is an alternative Bis key at the front of the sax, below your left forefinger. Get yourself a decent book and learn your first fingerings. I've been playing 18 Months and I only use two of the side keys.

Oh and for goodness sake, keep away from the self destruct key!:oops::eek:

Well I don’t know where the B-flat key is that you guys are talking about that I can ignore, but I’ll see if I can find it.

As for the self-destruct OK, I’m building an ejection button, but most of the spaces are occupied and I don’t know where to put it!

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Well I don’t know where the B-flat key is that you guys are talking about that I can ignore, but I’ll see if I can find it.

As for the self-destruct OK, I’m building an ejection button, but most of the spaces are occupied and I don’t know where to put it!
See Spike's link. All will be revealed.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
On a straight soprano sax, the self-destruct key is also called "High-G".
Attempting to use it causes people and animals to evacuate the area.
As far as I know, the other saxes don't have one.

At THIS point, I’m SUCH a newbie, that I’m looking at all those keys that aren’t directly under a finger, and wondering how in the DEVIL am I going to play THOSE?!

Seems like someone designed keys for every part of my hand to lean on, roll over, twist around, etc!!
Try learning the recorder. You'll be glad you picked an instrument with lots of keys.

For the life of me, I can’t IMAGINE how ya’ll figure it all out!!
Look at the holes they open/close. Apart from the one you play with your thumb they're mostly fairly straightforward.

I spent a good amount of time on a piano keyboard so I understand what you mean about that.

As for the recorder, I play a native American flute so I understand that concept as well.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
I spent a good amount of time on a piano keyboard so I understand what you mean about that.

As for the recorder, I play a native American flute so I understand that concept as well.
As the others have said don't worry about it for the time being, it will become easier with time. I always thought how difficult a trumpet must be, only 3 valves and all those notes to find.

Velocity of air; diameter of the instrument shaft; distance from air source to exit hole; vibration rates.......

All of that plays a part in the similarities between instruments.

Top Bottom