support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Chance encounter!

breathless

My 2 kids wife and myself are staying at a friends this weekend in Faversham and while out mos-e-ing around town today I popped into 1 of the antique shops, as I came out Bob Geldoff walked in. We carried on our way and came to another antique shops, and who walks past and went in? Yes Bob again!

When I got in he was having a conversation with the shop keeper complaining about how much of a hash up the BBC had made of the jubilee weekend broadcasts.

Then I found a trumpet in a 2nd hand music shop selling for £55 that the shop keeper claimed Bob Geldoff once borrowed to play at a party! When I told him I'd just seen him he went a bit quite!

Rgds Lee.

About 18 years ago we were staying at a hotel in Dumfriesshire (partly owned by John Wood - Fairport Convention's ex Sound Engineer) and our only daughter at the time was being babysat at dinner time. Half way through the week Richard Thompson, his wife and young child came to stay and they asked if they could share the use of our babysitter, which we were happy to agree to. Nice chap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I was involved in the antiques business in SW London. One day in walked Bob Geldoff dressed like a country gent in a checked suit, he looked around then rushed out.

I followed him to the door and saw that his land-rover parked on a clearly marked no parking area was in the process of being given a ticket. Mr Bob then started a tirade at the warden the like I have never heard before, the language was ripe.

Then came the famous words "Do you know who I am?" The warden replied very politely "No." Mr Bob went quiet.

I am afraid I lost all respect for Mr. G from that moment on.

The nicest person I met was Sir Cliff Richards. who was looking for a chest of victorian drawers during his run in Wuthering Heights.

We then sold victorian furniture to Meatloaf for his London residence. When we delivered it he was just returning from a jog on the common near his home with his dog. A real gent and a beautiful home restored in the true victorian style.

Other celebrities we had browsing Cher surrounded by bodyguards. Sade a regular collector. The lady who plays Gail in Coronation Street, a regular antiques buyer who looks exactly like she does in the show. Catherine-Zeta Jones was also a regular buyer before she married Michael Douglas, another charming lady. Regds N.

Regds N.

Many years ago, on my first ski trip with school, I was struggling to get up the T-bar style ski drags. My teacher (rather unhelpfully, I thought) paired me up with the next random stranger and I was sent off up the mountainside. I felt obliged not to pull said stranger off the T-drag when I fell off, so I concentrated hard on staying vertical, and got safely to the top. When I got there, all my friends assured me that the man I'd just come up the ski-drag with was David Bowie.
Sadly I was a musically ignorant 15 ( or so) year old and didn't have a clue who he was anyway!
However, if this is true, I remain eternally grateful to him for getting me up the mountain successfully :))) :welldone

My Dad once bumped into Rod Stewart back in the seventies, and father-in-law stood having a wee next to Gary Liniker in the gents at Leicester City once, the best i can manage is having a chat with Dave Bartrum at a gig once, and apart from a couple of fishing celebrities thats about it.

Frank Muir outside Star Hotel in St. Andrews (1978); Tim Brooke-Taylor outside Star Hotel in St. Andrews (1979); Julian Bream in Liptons, Aldeburgh (1982); sat next to Michael Tippet in ROH Covent Garden Stockhausen premiere (1984);Denis Norden in Country and Eastern (Shop) in Norwich (1994); had afternoon tea with Eurythmics at Dave Stewart's mothers flat in Maida Vale, London (1980), Justin Lee Collins in Bristol (2010); Dom Joly in St. Malo, France in (2011).

When I was thirteen, my mum worked at a squash court and fitness center. They were opening a new wing and bar area and had Rolf Harris coming along for the day to do a painting on one of the bar walls in front of the guests. They also had another celebrity playing squash with some of the clubs top players. Well my mum managed to get we a warm up game with this guy. His name? Roger Daltrey and what a gent he was too! I was one proud kid and my mum was my hero!

Similar meetings but in my taxi.... Bob Greaves (news presenter) nice bloke.... Robbie Fowler, Steve McMannaman (footballers) i told Robbie off for putting his feet up on the seats (tut tut)
The Dalglish clan.... picked them up from a restaurant and took them to anfield on a european cup night (forgotten what they are :crying:) Kelly Dalglish is a stunner ;}

Cathy Tyson (Mona lisa fame) what an obnoxious woman, when she started to knock her own city i gave her a few home truths, she said she was going to report me !!
The best was the father-in-law, many years ago (late 70's) picked up Tommy Cooper from lime st station took him to a local hotel, he was appearing at the Empire theatre, he had the father-in-law in stitches when he paid the fare he gave the father-in-law a teabag and said " there you go driver, have a drink on me " :)))

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dad once bumped into Rod Stewart back in the seventies, and father-in-law stood having a wee next to Gary Liniker in the gents at Leicester City once, the best i can manage is having a chat with Dave Bartrum at a gig once, and apart from a couple of fishing celebrities thats about it.

Dave Bartrum didn't offer you a drive then?

Back
Top Bottom