All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Celebrity remastering

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I posted up a link to a recording my band did of Moondance some time ago. At the same session we also recorded Peel Me A Grape, a lovely witty song covered by Diane Krall among others. It was OK - we were pretty happy with it and posted it up on our website and Facebook page - but somehow a guy called Pete Maher got to hear it and we had a request from him to have a crack at re-mastering it. Pete who, we replied? The Pete Maher who has mastered tracks for U2, Katy Perry, Noel Gallagher, Scissor Sisters - and on, and on....
Why he chose to do us a free remastering job when he has clients like that, we have no idea, and to be honest I'm not even that sure what exactly a mastering engineer does, but whatever it is, it sure sounds nice......
https://m.soundcloud.com/kate-and-the-mooncats/peel-me-grape-remastered

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
I love this Bill. It would be interesting to hear the un-celebrity-mastered version to see what he did.
I do like Diane Krall's version but this is a winner too. Nice solo by the way.

Locality
Maidstone, Kent
Nice track, would be really interesting to compare with the unmastered version
I did some work on a soul track that we paid to have remastered. What came back was awful. Way too much bass and muddier than the original.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Loved it Bill, I'd pay to come and see the band .

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Love the song and love your take and agree with Sue, if you sound that good i'd pay :thumb:

Colin i can tell a difference between the 2tracks the re-mastered track comes through cleaner, crisp to my ears, but that said not much wrong with the original.

Last edited:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I suppose it's a matter of taste. The difference is apparent but I don't think the remastered is an improvement. It's all very subjective. I suppose final production will depend on who the target audience is.

Very listenable singer either way.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Thanks. For me there's a big difference, and in favour of the remix. Less reverb, cleaner, better balanced, but the sax doesn't come out as well.

Interesting exercise...

dooce

Locality
Daventry
Loved it Bill, I'd pay to come and see the band .
Sue, we have a Facebook page with our gigs, which for now are freebie open mic nights till we get enough material together to go paid gigging.

I must admit that I made my judgement of the improvement of the remaster from the 40mb file that I have on my laptop. I suppose there must be some loss of quality in the upload to Soundcloud, but even so I still prefer the remaster - just sounds fuller and richer and he has played with the sax levels in the verses to bring Kate's voice forward. Incidentally, although we were all individually mic'd up, this was actually a live recording with no overdubs!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Agree with Kev the remastered one sounds cleaner, Katie has a great voice :)

Jx

Locality
Maidstone, Kent
Ah, so it is Colin :doh:.
Personally I prefer the re mastered version, it sounds clearer to me.
Great band, and love the version of Johnny got a boom boom.

Jamesmac

Sue, we have a Facebook page with our gigs, which for now are freebie open mic nights till we get enough material together to go paid gigging.

I must admit that I made my judgement of the improvement of the remaster from the 40mb file that I have on my laptop. I suppose there must be some loss of quality in the upload to Soundcloud, but even so I still prefer the remaster - just sounds fuller and richer and he has played with the sax levels in the verses to bring Kate's voice forward. Incidentally, although we were all individually mic'd up, this was actually a live recording with no overdubs!

That was the impression I had with the remix, a great rec to promote the band.:)
PS. With a live rather than a studio rec feel.

Last edited:

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Found it and 'liked' it :)

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom