support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Cebulla strap presentation in London

saxtech

Hello! My first post here, otherwise I'm quite active on SOTW under the same nickname.

I'm thinking of doing an informal presentation of the Cebulla sax strap in London, probably in the week after Easter. I'm friends with Johann Cebulla who makes them in Berlin and I decided to help him a little bit with marketing since I'll be in London with time on my hands.

For those who aren't familiar with the Cebulla, here are two reviews from SOTW members:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/other/cebulla.htm
http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-straps

I will have 6 different straps from soprano to bari that people will be able to try on, including the (relatively) new wide adjustment buckle.

Please post your interest and timing preferences / suggestions here.

I was thinking that we might all meet at a jam session (There is a great one every Monday at the Brasserie Lautrec for instance), go to a jazz concert (for instance on Friday April 25 there's the Willie Garnett Big Band at the POSK jazz club in Hammersmith) or meet in a pub.

Actually the Willie Garnett concert might be a great idea, since there are already going to be five or so saxophonist there and you'll get to meet Willie Garnett, a fantastic saxophonist and one of the best saxophone repairers in London.

So, what do you think?

Hello and welcome saxtech. There were a few threads about the Cebulla a while back and a number of members bought them. Good luck with your presentation.

Hello Jeanette and Sue, Thank you!

The Cebulla is not available in shops in London and I will be trying to change that. Since I will have brought samples for this purpose, I thought that some people might be interested in trying the Cebulla out in person... And it's always nice to meet with other saxophonists! (Although I am, I have to admit, just a beginner and enthusiast.)

I recommend the Willie Garnett Big Band show, I am coming there in any case. Willie is an amazing guy!

Hello, right now I'm thinking about bringing the straps to the Willie Garnett Big Band concert at the POSK jazz club in Hammersmith, Friday April 25. Would it suit you?

I have a few, including a bari with wide adjuster. Really like them. The wide adjuster is good, but slightly cumbersome to adjust - does keep the weight away from the front of the neck, though. But I didn't find this a problem on the smaller saxes - unless you were really trying to adjust too high (ie. strap too big).

However for tenor and bari I'm now using a saxholder. Takes the weight off my neck completely, which the cebulla doesn't, so I still get pain with a heavier sax. But I still use the cebullas for sop and alto.

I have a few, including a bari with wide adjuster. Really like them. The wide adjuster is good, but slightly cumbersome to adjust - does keep the weight away from the front of the neck, though. But I didn't find this a problem on the smaller saxes - unless you were really trying to adjust too high (ie. strap too big).

However for tenor and bari I'm now using a saxholder. Takes the weight off my neck completely, which the cebulla doesn't, so I still get pain with a heavier sax. But I still use the cebullas for sop and alto.

Do the cebulla take the weight of a straight sop?

Do the cebulla take the weight of a straight sop?

As Kev pointed out, nothing does. However, if you use a curved neck on a straight soprano, then a neck strap will help. And the Cebulla is a particularly efficient strap in terms of ergonomics / dividing the load on the neck. One of the straps that I will have with me is my personal soprano strap which looks like this one (except mine is white with white cord.)

http://cebulla-saxstrap.de/sax-strap/webyep-system/daten/14-23-im-produkt-8019.jpg

As Kev pointed out, nothing does. However, if you use a curved neck on a straight soprano, then a neck strap will help. And the Cebulla is a particularly efficient strap in terms of ergonomics / dividing the load on the neck. One of the straps that I will have with me is my personal soprano strap which looks like this one (except mine is white with white cord.)

http://cebulla-saxstrap.de/sax-strap/webyep-system/daten/14-23-im-produkt-8019.jpg

Thanks but the neck on my sop is fixed so no curved alternative.

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
As a saxophone teacher I would love for someone to come out with a reproduction of the old belt style neck strap that is a fixed length until you put the prong of the buckle into a different hole. A teacher can help a student adjust the neck strap to the ideal length in the beginning lesson and from then on the student just slips it over the head and plays. Having a fixed strap goes a long way in producing consistency of mouthpiece angle, posture, and hand position all of which are very important for a beginning player. If one thinks about it the only reason to have an adjustable strap is for doubling.

As a saxophone teacher I would love for someone to come out with a reproduction of the old belt style neck strap that is a fixed length until you put the prong of the buckle into a different hole. A teacher can help a student adjust the neck strap to the ideal length in the beginning lesson and from then on the student just slips it over the head and plays. Having a fixed strap goes a long way in producing consistency of mouthpiece angle, posture, and hand position all of which are very important for a beginning player. If one thinks about it the only reason to have an adjustable strap is for doubling.

Interesting point. This can be easily achieved with a cebulla or another strap with a similar adjuster by taping the adjuster over tightly. Perhaps not the most attractive solution, but it's a solution. Alternatively, order a custom strap with white cord and just mark the cord with colored markers.

Good suggestions, but it is still not a "fixed length" strap. Perhaps you have to be my age and have taught hundreds of beginning saxophone players to "get it". :)

I agree that it's more cumbersome than a belt-style solution. Perhaps the colored dot would be a good compromise, though.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom