All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Carpal Tunnel

thehunt

Another bloody whinge, started to get numbness in my right forefinger and thumb last Oct, now got so bad i have had to stop playing. been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel syndrome so need an op to sort it out, just waiting for the date. IT'S A REAL PAIN. I just can't play at the moment.
Anyone had this and how long after the op does it take to get better? :(
Thanks, Phil

Young Col

Phil
Really sorry to hear that on top of other things. I don't know anyone offhand who has had the op for that, but hope it gets done soon and you can get back playing. Do keep coming to the Cafe even if you can't play.
YC

Juju

It looks as if the chances of a full recovery are good as you haven't had the symptoms for a long time, so there is a good chance that the nerve hasn't been permanently damaged. If there are no complications, you should be fine shortly after the operation. Good luck with the op!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Phil, fear not. I had the op shortly after taking up the sax about five years ago. The op was a very simple affair and your awake the whole time so it's only a day surgery procedure. The recovery was about five to six weeks. However, I was able to play both my alto and my tenor throughout the healing process with my physios approval too!
It's all good mate. The tingling and pins and needles has completely gone away and has not come back!

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Phil, has your doctor recommended an immobilization brace or anti-inflammatories in the meantime? I also suffered carpal tunnel from typing (I was a legal secretary) and it is very painful. Playing the piano helped me because I was using different motions with my fingers rather than typing. Surgery seems like a miracle when you are in pain with CT. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

thehunt

Thanks everyone, just miss playing as regularly as i did. Lori i have been playing the piano as it does not hurt as much and i have been wearing a wrist brace and i also had a cortisone injection in my wrsit which helped. I suppose i just have to wait for the op. At least i have time to brush up on my theory and also listen to a lot of music. Thanks again for all your kind wishes.
Phil
Phil, has your doctor recommended an immobilization brace or anti-inflammatories in the meantime? I also suffered carpal tunnel from typing (I was a legal secretary) and it is very painful. Playing the piano helped me because I was using different motions with my fingers rather than typing. Surgery seems like a miracle when you are in pain with CT. Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Phil,
Wish you a good and speedy recovery but it would not be me unless I mentioned that always thought the Car Pal Tunnel was another way of referring to that hole under the Channel.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Phil, you have my utmost sympathy. I had Carpal Tunnel syndrome when I was expecting my 3rd child. The pain was out of this world - I used to be awoken at night with pain in my knuckles like someone was gripping them in a vice. This was before I started playing Sax, but my other hobby is knitting and sewing. The thought that I might never be able to pick up a needle again was really quite depressing. I couldn't drive easily as simply lifting my hands enough to get hold of the steering wheel caused my hands to go numb, as did washing my hair, cleaning my teeth etc. As mewntioned elsewhere, a brace on both wrists helped aleviate the pain while waiting for the solution. Fortunately (for me, but not a solution for you) by about 8 weeks after giving birth to my bruiser of a son, the numbness started to subside, and went away completely, never to come back. (mine was caused by water retention due to being pregnant with an instant rugby player!!)
That said, my aunt had CTS and had an operation to fix it. She's not had any problems since, and that was 21 years ago.
Hope it all goes well.
Mandy

Rock Lobster

Phil,

This will sound a bit pink and fluffy but has anyone mentioned acupuncture? I'm not a doctor but i know a lady that suffered from this and her doc sent her to a chinese bloke that fixed her in 2 sessions, (and also fixed a pain in her back). Last time i asked everything was still fine, (five years).

Sounds like the op is a guarentee of a cure but i just thought i would mention it.

thehunt

I had accupunture when i had golfer's elbow a few years back which worked for me, but i want a permanent fix. Thanks anyway.
Kind regards
Phil

Ben Cain

Hi,
Good luck with the op, hope u r back playing soon. I too am not playing at the mo following a burn to my right hand and a deal of missing skin., Hope to be back in 3/4 weeks. Miss it like crazy.

johnboy

Hi Phil,
I've had both hands done. It's a simple Op, no pain and a quick recovery ;}

John.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom