All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Can't quite hit that high note, all others perfect

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
When I learn a tune, I listen to others, I then play as I hear it and after that, change to my own sort of thing. Ok, the intro of this I believe by the info is played by Benny Goodman on the clarinet, I am playing like for like, but just for some reason cannot hit that highest note on my alto. Any suggestions please? to be honest, I have never been up that high on any tune I play so is quite new to me.

This is just something I am working on at the moment after listening to one of my albums, Ben and Art together, I do for some reason adore that high intro and the little flutter down again, simply gorgeous.

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
The highest one at the end of the clarinet? intro- at 1.10 sorry, I don't read dots.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
It's a concert G, or top E on an alto. Play it with octave key plus the first 2 left hand palm keys and the top right hand side key.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Practicing your written E major scale will help you to play this tune on the alto sax. The little turn at the end goes to a high F# which may be a bit difficult.

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
Oh, how odd, I guess it is the High F# as I already play the two left palm, and octave down ok, it is the one above that, I keep trying with the top right side key at the same time but does not wish to come out, funnily enough, I never had the same problem on Tenor, this is using my Dolnet Alto. It is odd as all the other notes speak beautifully, that High F# does not seem to want to come out.

Like I said, I do not usually go up that far due to the songs I play, and guess that due to playing Tenor beforehand I tend to be a lower note hugger, I am still sort of struggling between the difference of tone between the two.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
As what Nick said - add the top right side key at that's E, open up the three palm keys with the side key still open and that's F...you may not have a high F# key on your Dolnet alto...

Greg S.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I think you need a finger chart. I find the easiest way to get used to making the top notes speak is to run up and down chromatically.

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
Practicing your written E major scale will help you to play this tune on the alto sax. The little turn at the end goes to a high F# which may be a bit difficult.

That's the E.

As Jbtsax said, is the turn is an F# ? if you play this run yourself, what do you get,

As what Nick said - add the top right side key at that's E, open up the three palm keys with the side key still open and that's F...you may not have a high F# key on your Dolnet alto...

Yep, complete numpty day. I am following the notes, are there other alternative fingerings- I guess I should just keep one sax back for myself, like Greg said, no high F# key on this Dolnet, though some of my others do have that key... case of wrong sax perhaps.

Greg S.[/QUOTE]

I think you need a finger chart. I find the easiest way to get used to making the top notes speak is to run up and down chromatically.

Yes I have been, but seem to stop dead at that very last one, I thought high F# was possible to get even if you do not have the High F# key by alternative fingering? Or what am I thinking of? Pargle!

Unless I have lost the plot, I do not normally have such an issue.. dealing in other instruments and saxes I have all sorts, some with the keys and some without, I do not always remember what I have in my hands and cannot always jump from one to the other without making a right mess, or perhaps I have the onset of oldtimers.

Genuine question. Octave down, play, G then A, then long Bb, then C add two left palms with the C down and what do you have? This does not appear to be on the fingering chart, although even they all look like dots.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Yes I have been, but seem to stop dead at that very last one, I thought high F# was possible to get even if you do not have the High F# key by alternative fingering? Or what am I thinking of? Pargle!

The usual way is to play the alt fingering for top F and add the Bb side key.

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom