support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones cannonball?

It looks like their Sceptre model..intermediate. Very nice horn, good sound

I believe theri intermediate offerings included Excalibur ( I have one of these) then progressed to Sceptre and Alcazar

Can anybody tell me if this cannonball is a student model sax or intermediate.
Regards
Allansto
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannonball-...527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ddb602ff
This site should help: http://cannonballmusic.com/chronology.php

Since it has 1998 engraved on the bell, I'd guess it's a 1998 Knight pro alto. I'm under the impression that their pro models didn't become competitive until the Global Series was introduced in 2001, so this earlier model won't be very valuable.

Regards

David

David is correct. They play quite well but are not as well constructed as their later models. These are closer to the start of the "learning curve" that all manufacturers undergo.

Agree with David and JBTSAX. I looked at an earlier pro Cannonball last year and was non-plussed. It was nothing special in terms of build quality or tone and it had really bad engraving. Now however, their 'pro' horns are excellent. Mine almost makes me emotional when I play!

so thanks for the input guys,
This being my first alto and I have a very low budget, would this be suitable as a starter bearing in mind I am an intermediate tenor player.
Regards
Allansto

Hi Allansto,

I would think about a couple of things.

Firstly, the seller isn't a music retailer or the owner, so may not know much about the instrument or saxophones. I would take their assertions about its condition with a pinch if salt. Given its age and depending on any servicing (probably unlikely for a student horn) and how much it has been played/ how it has been stored it may need work doing - at least a basic service, it may be more. You should budget for that.

I'm not sure what your import charges would be in total, but do a calculation to see what you would you would actually pay. It might be more economical to buy closer to home and you get the chance to try. There is a 30 day return policy, but that would be an expensive option.

Find out as much about it as you can before committing if you are keen.

at least a basic service, it may be more. You should budget for that.

I'm not sure what your import charges would be in total, but do a calculation to see what you would you would actually pay.
Importing would typically involve duty at about 4%' VAT at 17.5% plus handling charg of £8. The 30 day return is therefore a bit pointless, esp given you'd be paying for shipping both ways.

Oops, just noticed it's Australia. I believe import is even more there.

Repairs could easily be £100 - £200 and you end up with a horn that isn't great anyway so my advice would be no.

Thanks Pete, I knew UK but wasn't sure about Australia.

I would give that horn a miss. Even the early serial number Excaliburs were not consistent build quality I have been told. Go for a second hand Yamaha for consistency and your first alto.

There used to be a good dealer down towards Fitzroy when I lived in Melbourne some years ago. I shall see if I can find them for you! You play a Yam 575 so my suggestion would be stick with them for your first alto.

I am at a loss as to how they charge Duty , most of the time they dont charge, normally only the 20% vat and 8 pounds for Parcel force.

Duty etc. always ends up being more than you think as it accumulates and is based on price plus
I am at a loss as to how they charge Duty , most of the time they dont charge, normally only the 20% vat and 8 pounds for Parcel force.
Duty applies to goods over £135.

I'm not sure I understand why the VAT is so high. Is it because it replaces what we call "income tax" the states? In my tax bracket, I end up paying about 15% federal and 5% state taxes on my adjust gross income after deductions, exemptions etc. On top of that there is 6.7% state and local sales tax on all purchases except food.

Duty etc. always ends up being more than you think as it accumulates and is based on price plus

Duty applies to goods over £135.

So far I have imported 7 saxes, all over the £135 and only on the last one they listed a duty charge. But thinking about it, I thought they were overcharging on the Vat, but it was probable that the duty was included, but they have bundled it together with the vat, and not listing it separate. except on the last sax.
But thanks for that.

Duty is at 3.2% of the value. If this comes out at less than £9, they don't collect it. This implies that if the value (including shipping) is less than £281.25, only the VAT is charged.

I'm not sure I understand why the VAT is so high. Is it because it replaces what we call "income tax" the states? In my tax bracket, I end up paying about 15% federal and 5% state taxes on my adjust gross income after deductions, exemptions etc. On top of that there is 6.7% state and local sales tax on all purchases except food.
No, we still pay income tax. But income tax and the other taxes have to fund health care, state pensions, unemployment and social security as well as the costs your government and states cover.