PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cannonball Tenors

SteveK

Locality
Guildford, Surrey
I stop by my local sax shop the other day, with a hour to spare, and played threw a few tenors - I had taken my MP with me so I was well set up.
I tried some Mauriats which I have to say I have always felt are great horns at a good price (although the feel is a little angular). However the price of them is creeping up and I have to wonder whether they are such good value any more.
I personally love Yanigasawa's (owning a 992 and 9930) myself) and naturally also the Yamaha's which I find to be very similar.
Just when I was ready to pack and leave, the shop assistant handed me a Cannonball Vintage Series Lady Godiva - which in my ignorance I had only vaguely heard of.
Well, I have to say that I was blown away. I am looking for a free blowing light actioned alternative - for soul/funk - something raucous, and it fitted the bill exactly. Mind you the yani's and yamahas still do it for me for a first horn.
The Cannonball was also very well priced.
The sound is very much like I would expect a King to sound like - although I have never played one myself.
The internet is full of people who love them and some who question the build quality. I have to say their marketing is a bit naff and gimmicky but I can live with that.

They do a stone series which has semi-precious stones for pearls - e.g. tiger eye, jasper, which they claim influences the sound - hum?!

On first sight they appear to be made in the USA but on further investigation I believe they are 'designed' in the US, made in China and then finished in the US?

Just wondered if anyone had one or had any experience?

Steve

Yep - see the signature below. I love it - it is one the horns with the semi-precious stones, in this case jasper. I doubt it makes one iota of difference to the instrument but they look good!

I replaced a Conn 10M with it and it does everything the Conn did and more, with all the advantages of a new horn. I agree about the Mauriats though - I tested one when I bought the CB but had to tell them to take it away - gorgeous but out of my price range at the time.

The set-up of Cannonball is a bit weird - but then they are based in Salt Lake City. Have a look at their website - tells you all you probably need to know about them.
http://www.cannonballmusic.com/

You'll find a strong following for the Mauriat's here and I seem to recall a few keen on the Canonballs.

There are many great saxes around and ideally you want to try a few back to back if you can but choosing might me a challenge!

I love my 66R UL though.

I would just add that to my knowledge the quality issues with CB are ancient history now, but there are still plenty of people, especially on the SOTW site, who will take every opportunity to resurrect them. Mine is beautifully built - well, way better than the Conn anyway!

It was a toss up between the Cannoball or the Mauriat, once i'd played the Mauriat it was a no brainer but i did love the CB, especially the look, when i bought mine there was only a few hundred quid difference so pleaded with the missus and got my way!!

That was where i bought my Mauriat at Dawkes and tried the CB as well as other brands. really nice people.

I played this one as sax.co.uk - this was the only one they had in the London branch. They said they had more in their main shop in Crowborough or is it Crowthorne?
I checked with their HQ and apparently Windcraft is their main stockist in the UK - but I haven't spoken with them.
Steve

Windcraft are the CB agents;
WINDCRAFT
TEL: 01628-778377
Reform Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire
SL6 8BT UK
Sam Gregory
samg@windcraft.co.uk

The only shop where I have seen a stock of more than a single horn is Sheehans in Leicester who had maybe 6 on display last time I was there.

That was where i bought my Mauriat at Dawkes and tried the CB as well as other brands. really nice people.

I've just been into Dawkes in my lunchbreak - those Cannonballs do look nice!!!

(Must do an extra line on the lottery this weekend!!)

I have a Cannonball Tenor I love it. so much infact that it's the only "named" item on my House Insurance ;)
It was purchased from Dawsons in Reading utilising the Arts Councils Take it away scheme.

I've just been into Dawkes in my lunchbreak - those Cannonballs do look nice!!!

(Must do an extra line on the lottery this weekend!!)
Glad to see I am not the only sad individual here - lunch break voyeurism;}
Steve

I adore this saxophone. This is one of the best tenors I've played if not the best for me. I played this saxophone for about eight months. I used it for classical music and also for a more jazzy feel as well. I love the keys are super light and respond very well. The ease of playing this was nice as well. (I played a selmer school tenor god it was horrible but excellent to learn on) And for durability. Its built quite well. I have had a lot of people run into me in the small set up we had and it faired better then the other saxophones in the room who accidentally had a chair shoved into them. I've only found one con i truly dislike about this horn. Your hands will smell like pennies. Its horrible. But its a simple fix. Just some gloves. I perfer this saxphone over cannonballs Big Bell Stone Series. That's just preference. But Honestly if I had the chance to purchase this exact saxophone I would not even hesitate!

^ that's a great, thorough review by Mr. Howard that a lot of people have found it very useful.

Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm here! Just want to let you know I'll be happy to answer any further questions you have about Cannonballs.

Even their intermediate horns are superb. Recently acquired an Excalibur and it is so easy to play (in comparison to some of my other horns) and the keys are really quick. Well laid out LH pinky cluster as well. I actually had a list of resellers that I will try to find.

Would love the Gerald Albright alto but would have to sell the wife!

Back
Top Bottom