All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Jazz cannonball killing it

koumou

This is one of my favorite Cannoball clips. The man was a master and a likable fellow as well. Shame he died so early.

TomMapfumo

At least he can keep on the right side of "frenetic" as too many soloists seem unable to do. Lovely Nat Adderley piece - I do like it when they play together on stage.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
At least he can keep on the right side of "frenetic" as too many soloists seem unable to do. Lovely Nat Adderley piece - I do like it when they play together on stage.
Agreed - one of the issues I have with many modern classical soloists is in their desire to demonstrate demonic solo agility, they lose sight of the music....

Rogerb

"Too many notes, Herr Mozart" :) ....can't say I agreed with the Archduke, but, in the case of jazz, I am inclined to the 'less is more' viewpoint...can't stand frenetic playing, which just sounds like showing-off 'technical' skills.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
"Too many notes, Herr Mozart" :) ....can't say I agreed with the Archduke, but, in the case of jazz, I am inclined to the 'less is more' viewpoint...can't stand frenetic playing, which just sounds like showing-off 'technical' skills.
I take it you don't get on with Oscar Peterson either.... Funny, while I agree with you on the too many notes, Peterson is OK for me, but.... Canonball not. Perhaps it's because Peteron is more melodic.

Rogerb

I agree, Kev, although I'm not generally a great fan of piano-led jazz (George Shearing excepted, maybe, although I haven't listened to him for years!), I do find Thelonius Monk 'interesting' ....every note seems to have a 'purpose'!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom