Supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Cannonball BLACK RUBY TENOR with spider- man stone??

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Could be summed up as, "it's a pretty coloured sax".
Disclaimer: ICBA to watch all of it and what I did watch had the sound turned off. I expect it sounds like a tenor sax.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I'm not averse to bling. This is one of my altos:
hlsax_zpsffc64702.JPG

I'm not in the market for a new tenor (Keilwerth Shadow is fine and I'm now a skint pensioner) but I'd be very happy if I were to receive one of these tenors as a present. I'd probably gig it too.

Karolis

Locality
Lithuania
Lovely alto! I don't mind the bling, but the spider-man stone (advertised in the video) is a bit too much for me... It feels like the money could be invested somewhere else (ergonomics, pads, springs etc....)

SaxoFREAK

saX on the bEaCH..
Locality
Liverpool
Skip the first 7mins in which he drools about the bag etc. The extra neck looks out of place on this sax, not really for me, skip to 10mins if you want to him play, nice share though Karolis.. :thumbs:

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I've been through my Cannonball stage. Nice instruments but for me, different but somehow not special.

OldNotGrey

Locality
Surrey, UK
Nice deep and unusual looking colour. I once owned a metallic turquoise car which was lovely for a while but the novelty wore off and I yearned for a more standard colour. I wonder if I might feel the same about the black ruby in later years?

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
On the flip side i got to try out a Gerald Albright signature alto and a 1954 MkVI (wanted to try modern and vintage) prefer modern
Loved the Albright

Attachments

• 8E5B4CB2-A463-4028-B08A-52B21AA4261C.jpeg
    8E5B4CB2-A463-4028-B08A-52B21AA4261C.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Reactions: Sue

altissimo

Locality
leicester
it's a nice enough looking instrument and the spiderweb jasper may look nice if he'd bother to show us a decent closeup, although it may be a little slippery if you've got sweaty fingers.. I've nothing against blingy saxophones in unusual finishes, I'm a bit bored of lacquered brass..
But why do a video where he spends more time showing us the case than the instrument?
I'd better keep my opinions about 'unboxing videos' to myself before I get into trouble...
can't say I'd ever buy a Cannonball sax, but each to their own

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
I tried a few C/balls when they first came out over here and for me there was never anything about them that justified the price.
Don't like the bling
It just aint ma thang.
Recently had the opportunity to try a couple'a China cans from:
Dein Weg beginnt hier | Deutschland | Chicago Winds
The alto (RRP - €349 in "old fashioned" gold) and the tenor (RRP €499 also in "old fashioned" gold) including imitation pearls and the obligatory white gloves.
Great horns, well set up, solid build, great ergonomics, and great sound from down low to easy altissimo and they look like real saxophones none've yer cherry plating that reminds me of dried ketchup with a shiny lacquer.
And . . .
In the meatime I've had the Chicago bari on loan for a couple of weeks (RRP €1599) - knock out horn!
I'd buy it if I needed it, but I don't and I'd have to buy a new car or fit a luggage rack.
So I could get two great horns, alto and tenor, and a pair of Zebra skin boots for less than €1k and still have change for a few T-bone steaks and a few crates of Bavarian beer. No brainer.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I have told this story before, but it bears repeating in this thread. I worked for a music store that was the first to carry Cannonball saxophones. I worked in the repair shop, but I was also the designated "saxophone guy". I was put in charge of the Cannonball saxophone display at a statewide high school jazz festival right after the Brute saxophones were introduced. I thought they were "butt ugly" being a sax player raised in the 60's with shiny lacquered saxes. When each group of students came into the display area, I heard, "Wow", "Cool", "Far out", "Man That's What I Want" as they all made a beeline right to the ugly Brute models. At that moment it dawned on me that the Cannonball folks weren't marketing to old farts like me who already have a saxophone, they are marketing to the next generation of sax players.

Since then I have even developed a fondness for the dark brown patina of the "Brute" models, and have gone so far as to get the chemicals needed to produce that finish. The "Black Ruby" however is going to take some time. Here is one of Utah's best players playing an extended solo on the Black Ruby tenor.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
[BGCOLOR=transparent]
In terms of sound, biult quality, ergonomics?
[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=transparent]None of the above it was just the colour was horrible !! build quality will be good as it’s a Cannonball.[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=transparent]If it plays anything like the GA5 that i tried this morning then it’ll sound good. [/BGCOLOR]
The colour is like ‘marmite’ you either love it or hate it, i was the latter !

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
At that moment it dawned on me that the Cannonball folks weren't marketing to old farts like me who already have a saxophone, they are marketing to the next generation of sax players.
When I'm not blowing my horn I earn my daily bread in advertsing, a phrase in your post @jbtsax hits me heavy in the eye:
"they are marketing".
The first time I read a C/ball "Leperello" (that's a twice folded A4 landscape or similar sized flyer) from the late 90's it claimed that the "advanced" design was in part due to devine intervention. They haven't used that term in their marketing anymore since then.
I'm an old and opinionated indian and marketing bling doesn't interest me in the least, either it's a good horn or it's not.