All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Canary wharf free jazz festival.

breathless

I saw this advertised a while ago and considered going however the mum-in law (who's the only person we'd trust our children with) is on holiday, so the only way we would get to go would be if we could take our two young ones with us.
So I looked at wether I could make the day a little more interesting for them and maybe I could get to take in at least a little bit of the show.

Well courtesy of Tesco vouchers we had dinner covered in cafe rouge, and if we spent some time walking round the shops and the quay then maybe we could get two sittings of jazz in.

So we drove to canary wharf and parked in the underground car park, found our way to Canada Square and sat downland watched the opening set, a young fella by the name of Josh Arcoleo (Tennor sax player), the kids managed to sit threw the whole 1.15 hour set and then we took ourselves for a walk round the shops and had dinner.
Unfortunately we had to miss Basangu orchestra and Dennis Rollins sets but got back for the start of Alexandre Stewart (singer) set which was quite enjoyable and my two children were quite content.

The final set of the festival for Saturday was Courtney Pine, who I really wanted to see but not starting until 8.30pm I only realisticly expected to get to see 30 minutes or so before the kids had enough.

I was very surprised when Courtney came on, hes quite a performer and likes to work the crowd. The first thing going he done was got everyone up from sitting down and by the end of the first song people were dancing and clapping along, this continued into the next song when Dennis Rollins came back on stage and they decided the crowd into two sides each clapping along to each performer.

Fortunately we were right at the front and my kids were quite comfortable and we're clearly enjoying the performance.

Courtney started with a Suprano and was playing way up high in the frequencie range I didn't think was possible.
He then produced one of these electronic sax's and played something that was mainly down as low as it's possible to go and just seemed to bound around way down in the low notes although it was pretty damed good and coming out the PA it was rattling my rib cage.

The kids were quite enjoying the performance however my little girl sucombed to tiredness at around 9.30 so we came away at that point.

A really good day albeit starting out a bit of a gamble as to how much my kids would tolerate but it all turned out very well and it was free.

Although I'm now going to have to take a look at material by both Dennis and Courtney.

Rgds Lee.

navarro

I saw this advertised a while ago and considered going however the mum-in law (who's the only person we'd trust our children with) is on holiday, so the only way we would get to go would be if we could take our two young ones with us.
So I looked at wether I could make the day a little more interesting for them and maybe I could get to take in at least a little bit of the show.

Well courtesy of Tesco vouchers we had dinner covered in cafe rouge, and if we spent some time walking round the shops and the quay then maybe we could get two sittings of jazz in.

So we drove to canary wharf and parked in the underground car park, found our way to Canada Square and sat downland watched the opening set, a young fella by the name of Josh Arcoleo (Tennor sax player), the kids managed to sit threw the whole 1.15 hour set and then we took ourselves for a walk round the shops and had dinner.
Unfortunately we had to miss Basangu orchestra and Dennis Rollins sets but got back for the start of Alexandre Stewart (singer) set which was quite enjoyable and my two children were quite content.

The final set of the festival for Saturday was Courtney Pine, who I really wanted to see but not starting until 8.30pm I only realisticly expected to get to see 30 minutes or so before the kids had enough.

I was very surprised when Courtney came on, hes quite a performer and likes to work the crowd. The first thing going he done was got everyone up from sitting down and by the end of the first song people were dancing and clapping along, this continued into the next song when Dennis Rollins came back on stage and they decided the crowd into two sides each clapping along to each performer.

Fortunately we were right at the front and my kids were quite comfortable and we're clearly enjoying the performance.

Courtney started with a Suprano and was playing way up high in the frequencie range I didn't think was possible.
He then produced one of these electronic sax's and played something that was mainly down as low as it's possible to go and just seemed to bound around way down in the low notes although it was pretty damed good and coming out the PA it was rattling my rib cage.

The kids were quite enjoying the performance however my little girl sucombed to tiredness at around 9.30 so we came away at that point.

A really good day albeit starting out a bit of a gamble as to how much my kids would tolerate but it all turned out very well and it was free.

Although I'm now going to have to take a look at material by both Dennis and Courtney.

Rgds Lee.
Hi Breathless I did not even know there was a festival being held there otherwise I would have tried to attend. Perhaps I was in Spain at the time..

Must admit I am not a fan of Mr. Pine he is to much of an altissimo technician for my liking.

When he turned down the offer of a job with Art Blakey quote "I prefer to work on my own." I thought this was carrying the free spirit thing a bit to far. He was also hailed as the British John Coltrane luckily he dismissed this as fan exuberance.. Best regards. N.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
At this point I need to sob.....
just got back from a Weekend spent in Stratford picking up my Paralympic uniform and being trained.
A evening at this festival would have gone down soooo wel l:crying: :crying:

breathless

Sorry peeps, im normally quite quick to discuss things coming up ect-. (thought id mentioned it somewhere)?

From my point of view, (and I cane very downbeat on company's/auganisations ) ripping me off (like Chessington world of queues today), so it can be a rare thing that I praise something.

But a whole day out with dinner in a pleasant restaurant and good music for a cost of around £35 made for an outstanding day.

P.S, the wife myself and my two kids have had a few busy days, beach, museum, country park (fed the deer), chessington world of adventures and the jazz fest-. I asked my kids individually what was there best day?
There answer! That man in the green coat that got everyone standing up and had the other man on with the other instrument (trombone) - (Dennis Rollins).

I continued to question them, "what not even the beach was better???" there answer, well that was good but I liked the man in the green coat better!

I think we will be attending lots of gigs in the future.

Rgds, Lee.

AndyWhiteford

last time I saw Courtney live , I thought: "playing 4 octave range on a saxophone is impressive, playing 8 octave range on a wind-synth is pressing the up- and down-octave switches...."

breathless

last time I saw Courtney live , I thought: "playing 4 octave range on a saxophone is impressive, playing 8 octave range on a wind-synth is pressing the up- and down-octave switches...."
Andy you know I can relate to what you say! I'm an absolute beginer however I stood there and thought to myself a minute or two after he started "well that sounds quite impressive threw that PA, but what else can you do?).

He did play a couple of pieces that sounded quite good but again, I've only been playing 5 months so im in no way qualified to judge but I got that impression a couple of times. But it's far more than I could dream of playing myself right now so I can't but have respect for him.

Lee.

navarro

At this point I need to sob.....
just got back from a Weekend spent in Stratford picking up my Paralympic uniform and being trained.
A evening at this festival would have gone down soooo wel l:crying: :crying:
Great Mandy, My Godaughter has jut finished a stint on security and will be doing the Paralympic I think she starts this weekend. She did about a weeks training and gained a certificate as a qualified bouncer , quite funny really she is only 7.5 stone and 5ft 4. but a keep fit fanatic. Regds N.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom