supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Can you recommend please.....

half diminished

Best place to buy a 2TB HDD online.....

and.........

Best 2TB HDD

Currently looking at Dabs and eBuyer and probably a Western Digital Caviar Black SATA II 2TB HDD (64mb, 7200 RPM)

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I should have explained, I am looking to change my 3 year old iMac for a Mac Pro. I've run out of HDD, am up to my max. RAM at 3gb and could do with some additional monitor real-estate so I thought it time a made the leap.

I'm looking for one or maybe two internal drives for the Mac Pro.

jonf

Misco have a good range.

As to the best, in my view they're all a bit limited in terms of durability. I've bought dozens of them at work, and if you leave them on for any length of time the tend to fail. Lots of them run extremely hot which causes premature failure. Have had a few failures with Western Digital, I guess the Lacie ones have been the most reliable. My own personal one is a Seagate, which has given no problems, but I only really use it as a photo archive. If you want to use a drive on a regular basis I'd suggest getting more onboard drives, if you can do such a thing with those funny Mac things. Oh, and maybe a bit of housekeeping as well?>:)

Stephen Howard

I tend to prefer the multi-drive approach. As reliable as hard drives are these days, they can still fail - and the bigger the drive, the more you stand to lose.
I use removable hard drive caddies ( a set of three ) onto which all my data can be backed up. If one drive fails I stand a good chance of having a backup ready to go.
It's a bit like a RAID system, but it overcomes the security problem of keeping all your data in one place.

Regards,

OP
half diminished

half diminished

OK, here is the deal......

Mac Pro with 650GB HDD set-up as a boot drive. 3 partitions

Two additional 2TB HDD - total set-up with various partitions to provide:

• On Boot Drive - 1 partition (for scratch as below) 2 additional partitions for [Boot and Apps] and [iTunes] respectively
  • Striped array of 32gb (each disk) across all 3 HDD for PS CS4 scratch disk (96gb in total with either 96mb or 160mb cache depending on the disks I choose)
  • Striped array across two 2TB disks (1tb each) to provide 2TB of Master disk storage - will have all data/files stored here
  • I'll then use the 'spare' capacity on these two disks for BU purposes as at present I have maybe 500gb of data that needs to be backed up

Ultimately I'll fit an additional 2TB BU disk.

This should give me very good storage capacity with headroom and ultra-fast access (read/write) for PS CS4 by ustilising the fastest part of the disks where I most need the speed.

I'll be starting with 3GB RAM but expect to install 12GB later on when PS CS5 comes out and when I can afford the extra £500!

Young Col

Ian
My advisers (professional PC builders) say that the best bet is Western Digital from e-Bay. They also muttered something about why you hadn't gone for more RAM straightaway, SSD (for PS scratch?) and you should keep the number of partitions to a minimum for stability especially if they are RAIDed. Is it like that because the Mac only has space for four hard drives?

I know nothing, just passing on advice!
Colin

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Ian
My advisers (professional PC builders) say that the best bet is Western Digital from e-Bay. They also muttered something about why you hadn't gone for more RAM straightaway, SSD (for PS scratch?) and you should keep the number of partitions to a minimum for stability especially if they are RAIDed. Is it like that because the Mac only has space for four hard drives?

I know nothing, just passing on advice!
Colin
Trouble is cost of the Mac Pro plus a screen and 2 extra HDD is much moolah! So no cash for more RAM. Also, I want to set things up properly from the outset and I won't need the RAM initially but do need more HDD space. I'm going to be looking to do much more photography paid work and i need a faster system than I have at present as time will not just be money, I won't have much of it anyway as I will keep my normal job and want to keep up on the tenor.

I have three external drives, 250 & 2x 500 GB which I want to dispose of.

There will be 3 partitions on each drive:

640GB - split 32GB, 128GB plus rest
2TBs each will be split - 32GB, 1GB plus rest

Ultimately I can 'modify' the Mac Pro to take 6 HDDs but I don't need the ultimate speed nor the capacity immediately.

Long term the aim will be to use about 50% of the capacity of each 2TB disk with a partition to ensure that the right (and fastest) part of the disk is used. RAID is used to increase speed rather than capacity.

Check this out.

I don't know how this all compares with PCs though.

dooce

Would it be appropriate to start a whole new forum for these people? They clearly speak a language of their own.... :confused:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Is it worth the risk of raid zero for main file storage? I know you're going to back it up, but it's a high risk strategy. Unless you're working with huge files, it's usually better to trade the performance increase of raid 0 for straight disks. Agree with you on the raid 0 for scratch.

I set up a new machine 18 months ago. I went raid zero for scratch and O/S across 3 drives, but left the main data areas straight. And I'm often working with big scans (4-600MB).

Much less of a backup overhead with the O/S, and easier to recover.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Is it worth the risk of raid zero for main file storage?
Fair point but I don't think it will be a problem as the BU will be, and must be on one drive. Problem for me is I am not very experienced in this area but I read a book! Well several web articles but I know a lot of peeps swear by this approach. So I am taking this on faith! :w00t:

Part of me thinks it's overkill and I should just get a Mac Pro and a BU drive as it will be way faster than my existing 3 year old iMac but 85% of the cost is the Mac Pro, the drives are peanuts in comparison and I don't want to have to rebuild it a short way down the line if I change my mind.

The other BIG decision is what monitor. I've been wanting a mega pro monitor since I decided that I couldn't live with the new shiny iMac 27" i7 which was my first choice. Can't live with that shine.

Got my eye on a top notch Eizo but I may step down a peg or two, in fact I could get two 'standard' 22" Eizos for less than the cost of the 24" one I am looking at.

Anyone want a very nice iMac 20" with 3GB RAM and 250GB HDD? I will be selling this one when I eventually decide on exactly what to do - and have set it up, installed all the software and updates and transferred all the files..... which I am not looking forward to.

...........or I could just buy a Mk VI tenor! >:)

Chris98

Hi Ian,

I'd say hold your horses if you can, the new iMac i7 blows away the lower end mac pro, Apple can't maintain that imbalance for too long as it will eat into their Mac pro sales. So my gut instinct is that they are going to have to at least match the specs in terms of RAM and HDD so that will mean at least a bump up to 4Gb of RAM and a 1TB HDD. The processor will most likely get a speed bump as well. So if you can hold off for a bit, maybe until the end of the month 26th-27th? then you might get more for your money.

As to HDD I agree WD are the way to go, if you don't expect to be putting huge demand on them like hi res audio recording or HD video editing then the Green drives might be worth a look, they run cooler, consume less power as so in theory might last longer/be more reliable.

Personally I wish Apple had put an E-SATA or even USB 3 or even a second FW800 socket on the back of the iMac i7 that way I'd have the screen size and neatness of a iMac but could hook up an external storage solution for my video editing and audio recording fun! looks like I'll be keeping the G5 power mac for a bit longer!

Top Bottom