Supporting   special needs music

Can Someone Please Explain If This Tool Actually Does What It Appears To Say It Does?

turf3

Locality
Earth
Looks like a pad slick to me. I'd rather use a narrower tool to press down the high spots only of a pad (must apply heat to the back side to soften shellac). Although professionals have their own preferred specific tools, I find a case knife from the kitchen works well enough for me. A real narrow stiff putty knife would probably work well too.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Yes it does. Sort of.
What they're intended for is to evenly level up the pad in the key cup, and to allow you to adjust the angle of the pad. Beyond that it's up to you to then set the pad by whatever means you prefer. Think of them as being akin to a shoehorn...they'll help get your shoe on, but then you have to tie the laces.
They can also (when heated) be used to iron the face of the pad.

However, they're not all created equally. I have no idea what the quality of those tools are but some I've seen have been made from very thin and bendy steel. If they get bent, they're useless
I ended up making my own (out of decorator's trowels).

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I agree with Stephen Howard's assessment. I bought a set from a well know supplier that I won't name that were too thin and flimsy to be useful. I had almost given up on using them and my apprentice came in with a set he got from Music Medic that were thicker and more rigid. I ordered a set and have been using them successfully for several years. This is how I use them.
  • Apply shellac to the entire back of the pad to near the edges and flatten on a bench anvil
  • Install pads in heated keycups off the saxophone, press down on the resonator and give a 1/4 turn
  • Install the key on the saxophone, insert the "pad ring" between the pad and the tonehole and reheat the cup
  • Press down with moderate pressure on the key to level and flatten the pad while the shellac is still flexible.
Much of the time this gets me to 80 to 90 percent of the way to leveling the pad to seal perfectly. If a portion of the pad is still too high, I heat the keycup again and gently press that section of the pad into the keycup using the ring.
The big advantage of using rings in place of "pad slicks" is that there is less chance of compressing the felt when the pad is installed. When that happens you end up "chasing your tail" adjusting and readjusting the pad till it settles in.

Another technique I learned from Curt Altarac that I like to use is the "tappy, tap, tap" method. The key is heated with the pad installed, and while the shellac is in its "plastic" state I repeatedly tap the key against the tonehole. If the stars and planets are aligned, the pad aligns itself to the tonehole and no further adjustment is needed. All of these methods are dependent upon developing a good feel for how long to heat each size of keycup for whatever adhesive you are using. I have been using Ferree's amber shellac sticks since I started installing sax pads years ago and have developed that feel for that particular product which is why I am hesitant to change even though it is quite expensive at $17.38 per stick.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
I wish. :rolleyes:

1615579344458.png

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
8pcs Saxophone Flat Pressure Pad Repair Replace Tool for Alto / Soprano / Tenor

Cojín de saxofón 8 un. presión plana reparación reemplazar Herramienta Para Alto/Tenor Soprano/ | eBay
To answer your question. Yes this is a tool for installing pads. The quality of the tool is questionable. A good quality stiff stainless steel or spring steel would be more preferential. This is probably stamped from an old tuk tuk fender.
Specifications list this as 1 mm thick or .040” it may suffice for the two or three DIY home hobbies Jobs.
7F363529-88AC-4C10-B224-6E6260295C00.jpeg

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
For giggles I ordered one of these.
The set weights 81g/2.86oz and states the metal as stainless steel

The OPs set weight is 5G / 0.18 oz Metal not described

I think JIA likes the seller.
F695ECEC-F90C-4F96-BECD-5BD76D595B69.jpeg

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
For giggles I ordered one of these.
Out of curiosity, I measured the thickness of the $72.50 Music Medic Pad Rings I have and they are .66 mm the same as the ones in this add selling for $19.99 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. It appears you got a good deal. My only reservation would be to make sure the edges of the tool are not rough or jagged, in which case they can be smoothed and rounded by buffing or using a fine file or sanding stick.

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Out of curiosity, I measured the thickness of the $72.50 Music Medic Pad Rings I have and they are .66 mm the same as the ones in this add selling for $19.99 and free shipping with Amazon Prime. It appears you got a good deal. My only reservation would be to make sure the edges of the tool are not rough or jagged, in which case they can be smoothed and rounded by buffing or using a fine file or sanding stick.
I guarantee you at $20 the edges have not been deburred. I have a couple of tools to take care of that. Thanks for the measurement on the MM set. I ordered this set because of the metal being specified as stainless steel and the thickness. First thing I’m going to do is check the thickness.
647FCAC2-CF21-4736-8FB5-29FD0C6F6267.jpeg
3F83D150-B7C3-4F66-8711-4F69766FA782.jpeg
6CB67F31-C593-4AB4-A0EE-512A12EB4A0A.jpeg

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Let’s just say this is amusing.
Proof the earth is not flat.
Somehow the thickness shrunk in shipping.
The metal is of decent quality stainless. Good memory and hard.
Surprisingly no sharp edges!
I included the packing label for proof it is the product ordered.
Ordered on Amazon prime Friday night. Delivered Sunday afternoon about 3 PM.
8831A166-D8CC-4094-89E8-2F2CC856EA00.jpeg
859C940C-4915-4381-BF6B-B286040A10F7.jpeg
E861F910-1ABD-4CE3-912E-C0BE40C65A73.jpeg

Last edited:

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Well I can at least attest to the metal being strong with memory. I played around with a couple of the large ones seeing if I could get them flattened out. That would be a big no. They spring back right to the original position. Return will be going out tomorrow. It’s already in the box.

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Flat as a pancake made with baking powder. Oh well, at least you didn't waste a month waiting for them to arrive like you would have had you bought them through Ali Baba and the Seventy Million Thieves. They send all packages with Marco Polo Pony Express, 32 days minimum delivery time.....if you actually get the thing you ordered or simply get it at all.

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Interesting how Matt has a Z bend in the tool. I don’t think I could’ve done that with the last test set. They were really warped. I’ve ordered another set to test.
I like the avatar upgrade.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Interesting how Matt has a Z bend in the tool. I don’t think I could’ve done that with the last test set. They were really warped. I’ve ordered another set to test.
I like the avatar upgrade.
The way I use the rings to "iron" the leather to make it smooth and flat is to gently heat the iron and then rotate it back and forth against the surface of the pad. Bends in the tool would make this more difficult. I can't think of any advantage the bend would provide in my experience using the tool.