Supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Can anyone identify this alto? Helen I think you probably can.

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
@helen

I was just watching the YouTube video of altoist James Spaulding at Mt. Fuji years ago with Freddi Hubbard playing Hub Tones. Wonderful playing of course...Spanulding is one of my favoirite alto players...but I was stumped by what sax he was playing there. From the angled G# on the 3 across LH pinky table it looks to me like some variation on a German theme....Keilwerth, Klingsor, etc...but I couldn't see enough of the rest of the horn to be sure. I tried to see if the tenon screw is on the left side....can't see it on the right side....which could make it a Buescher, but that pinky table is not a Buescher one AFAIK. I looked on SOTW about what sax James played and they said he played a Russian or German or Chezch horn after his Super 20 got stolen. Then someone else who spoke to him directly said he said it was a Statler. Some kind of Conn Stenclil maybe. The key cages don't look Connish to me however, nor does the pinky G#. So maybe some one here can weigh in.

The other thing I wonder about is that black plug on the neck near the mpc. Is that for a mic or what? A variotone perhaps? I know little about such devices so I'm all ears.

Here is the link to the second part of the tune in which James plays his solo. If you want to go back and here the song all the way through, either before or after, the second link is for that. The poster put them out of order on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQv4OsbHzc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN08sdCaiA

Last edited:

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
More photos if you google "James Spaulding" and select Images.
I too think it is of German origin. The black plug is for a pick up to electrify the sax.

helen

Looks to me like it is an early Weltklang. I am basing this on the left pinkie cluster. Also the left side key guard jives with that. But it is hard to tell with the blurriness of the video.

If he says that is was a Statler, that would mean it was a stencil. I don't have that name on B&S's stencil list--or actually on any as of yet--but it would fit. I could check a few books I have to see if the name pops somewhere.

But my best educated guess at this point is that it's a Weltklang stencil--an early one.

BTW, sorry, I haven't checked my emails in a few days so I didn't get the notification of the ping. My bad. :(

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Looks to me like it is an early Weltklang. I am basing this on the left pinkie cluster. Also the left side key guard jives with that. But it is hard to tell with the blurriness of the video.

If he says that is was a Statler, that would mean it was a stencil. I don't have that name on B&S's stencil list--or actually on any as of yet--but it would fit. I could check a few books I have to see if the name pops somewhere.

But my best educated guess at this point is that it's a Weltklang stencil--an early one.

BTW, sorry, I haven't checked my emails in a few days so I didn't get the notification of the ping. My bad. :(
Thanks, Helen. You're a wealth of information.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
To get Helen's attention best to use @helen in the text, then I believe she gets an alert.

:thumb:
He did

EDIT: Just realised he edited it in, that will not work

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 13.32.12.png

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
Oh....I didn't know that. So many quirky things to learn about the functioning of these forums. Facebook, Messenger, and What'sApp are so much easier and intuitive. I suggest that in order to make the internet more user-friendly the IT people who designed user-unfriendly and overly difficult websites be forced to run naked though a field filled with bramble bushes. One time would be enough to get the point across.