support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Camden Sax Band (moved

Mark

Locality
Hitchin UK
completly agree @BUMNOTE...I am fed up playing on my own I dont read music to a good standard and my timming is fine with backing tracks but not on scores...The most difficult part is finding a group that plays songs you enjoy and that you fit in with...even in London i tried to start a group at the church hall but little or no response...

Camden Saxophone Band - there's a website. We meet to play every Sunday morning during term times.

Good plan. I joined Phat Sax in Hitchin in 2013, which is run by Luke's father-in-law! Do I like all the charts we play? No. Some I love and others hate, and vice versa. Can I play them? Just about, after a few weeks' (or years') practice - some are easier than others, of course.

The main thing I found was to stick with it. We've had a few people come and go, and at least some of them seemed to want the instant gratification of just slotting into an established group and being able to play their part. When that didn't happen (surprise...) they bailed. I'm fairly sure no-one's left because they simply didn't like any of the charts.

I'm sure you'll get a great welcome at CSB, and will learn a ton if you stick with them.

Good plan. I joined Phat Sax in Hitchin in 2013, which is run by Luke's father-in-law! Do I like all the charts we play? No. Some I love and others hate, and vice versa. Can I play them? Just about, after a few weeks' (or years') practice - some are easier than others, of course.

The main thing I found was to stick with it. We've had a few people come and go, and at least some of them seemed to want the instant gratification of just slotting into an established group and being able to play their part. When that didn't happen (surprise...) they bailed. I'm fairly sure no-one's left because they simply didn't like any of the charts.

I'm sure you'll get a great welcome at CSB, and will learn a ton if you stick with them.
Its not solely the scores i wentbto sax banditz and as nowhere near ready..playing to backing tracks and with a conductor is sooo different...I will use it to get where i want to be tho...

Hi do they have all standards...Imay not be able to get to Camden re ULEZ

The website says “all abilities”: Camden Saxophone Band. Beyond that I know nothing from personal experience, except that some of Luke’s charts he shared during lockdown were very reasonable to get to grips with. Maybe @Mark will be able to comment further. If you felt the need to stand out less maybe Camden Light Orchestra would work better - same website.

That’s the trouble with listing “London” as a location - for all we know you could be in Bromley!

The website says “all abilities”: Camden Saxophone Band. Beyond that I know nothing from personal experience, except that some of Luke’s charts he shared during lockdown were very reasonable to get to grips with. Maybe @Mark will be able to comment further. If you felt the need to stand out less maybe Camden Light Orchestra would work better - same website.

That’s the trouble with listing “London” as a location - for all we know you could be in Bromley!
Heathrow...

FYI: I had been learning the saxophone with no prior musical experience for three years before I joined Camden Saxophone Band. I had never played with any other musicians. It was difficult at first to keep up with the music played from sheets but with perseverance, including practising the tunes at home, it has become a lot easier (and enjoyable). It does however take time especially I think if you are a “late starter”. The majority of the tunes are very straight forward to play and there are a small handful that are quite tricky with sections that I cannot get on top of; semiquaver runs for example. There are about 12 to 15 players who turn up each week, and all of mixed ability. Contact Luke Pinkstone to discuss – I suspect he will say come along and have a go! Re ULEZ - we meet at a school hall very near Chalk Farm tube station.

FYI: I had been learning the saxophone with no prior musical experience for three years before I joined Camden Saxophone Band. I had never played with any other musicians. It was difficult at first to keep up with the music played from sheets but with perseverance, including practising the tunes at home, it has become a lot easier (and enjoyable). It does however take time especially I think if you are a “late starter”. The majority of the tunes are very straight forward to play and there are a small handful that are quite tricky with sections that I cannot get on top of; semiquaver runs for example. There are about 12 to 15 players who turn up each week, and all of mixed ability. Contact Luke Pinkstone to discuss – I suspect he will say come along and have a go! Re ULEZ - we meet at a school hall very near Chalk Farm tube station.
If i pm you my no can you ask if Luke can bell me. .

Heathrow...
Hmmm ... that does look a bit of a schlep - wonder how it compares to others' journeys to music groups? Mine only actually adds about 30min to my travelling time, though there's another 45min added for leaving work a bit later plus setup and tear-down, so a 60min session takes about 135min out of my day. If I went to and from home it'd be 150min.

Using HMRC mileage rates (45p/mile) the extra journey costs me about £10, or £20 round trip if going from/to home. So the mileage is actually more than the session cost!

Depending upon where in the Heathrow area you are travelling from it's probably easier, and I am pretty certain quicker, by tube, certainly cheaper, and less stress... maybe.

Hasn't the Lizzy Line revolutionised this (Heathrow too TCR) journey?

Shropshire - I have one railway line and I can get to South Wales or Manchester and nowhere else directly. My singing teacher is 35 miles away. The Birmingham orchestra I used to be in is 55 miles away. I no longer play with the wind band or string orchestra as both over 50 miles away. Café sax ensemble is 50 miles away. My current two orchestras are 11 and 25 miles away.

If you live in a metropolitan area with access to functioning public transport, then you are in a fortunate position.

Hasn't the Lizzy Line revolutionised this (Heathrow too TCR) journey?
Lizzy is only partially opened. To get between Heathrow and Paddington it’s still the tube, with an awkward change, or the Heathrow Express which costs a fortune and the Lizzy line still doesn’t get you to Chalk Farm without at least one more change.

But Tenor Viol is right about being fortunate to have a good service, I used to travel to Halifax to visit my mother and after about 6 in the evening the buses changed from 5-6 an hour to one an hour, and were more expensive than London. I still fume about it.

Ok. But - googling - says LHR->TCR 30 mins by the end of the year, then a short leg Northish. Not looking too bad, eventually

Ok. But - googling - says LHR->TCR 30 mins by the end of the year, then a short leg Northish. Not looking too bad, eventually
I don't know what TCR stands for but whatever it is I doubt that you can do it in 30 mins. I think the short north leg has gone, too expensive, and we'll see about the rest. It doubt that it will get to Birmingham in my lifetime.

I don't know what TCR stands for
"Tottenham Court Road" - which is on the northern line for the Camden Saxophone Band (Camden/chalk farm being northish London)

Last edited: