support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Calling Tenor and Bari Rock Players

Account Closed
Would any of you tenor or baritone ROCK players care to do one of the three cycles of this tune?
Disclaimer: I've never played this before on a sax, we used to play it in the bar a few centuries ago. I might sweeten the track with organ or guitar to make it less monotonous, but the structure won't change. I will make it available for download without sax soon if anyone is ready.
View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/sea-cruise

@thomsax @rockplayer @guidocreo @Veggie Dave @jourard @Jmoen3
@Gabe @Wonko
If your name's not here that's no reason not to pop in, these are what came up for "rock". There can be any number of versions, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be cryptic! I wanted to see how many people were interested, publish the download like and let things fly. With that link, I'll need to include explicit instructions as to what to return. I'm also doing 50 other things in parallel. All will soon be revealed, before my end of day around 7 PM GMT.

The initial idea was to get at least one chorus of tenor and one of bari. The choruses of AABA are long.

Between publishing a new book and calling a bandmate from 1960's, here's a link to download the backing track:

Vocal version backing track

Deliverables, as they're called in the business world:

A sax-only track with some way to know how to sync it to the backing. There's no count at the beginning, only a drum fill, but should be sufficient to know when to start. That won't matter if you choose to leave the first part alone, leaving me free to improve on it. I know this is pretty out there, but I don't have the time to do all the organising, like who plays what. Play some part and tell me in a PM where I can get the sax-only file.

If you have a better idea, let me know! If you want to play the entire thing and mix it, you won't need me, link to it some where in this post. Think of this as a "rock of the month", that's exactly how I thought of it, spurred on by the Swan, which I couldn't play in a million years. "Saxophone is not just jazz" said @nigeld. Well, it certainly can be rock, as many of you play.

This is what happens when you do too much at once. An idea comes out half-baked! Mea culpa.

You might think of this as an effort like Pete's Christmas Song, where each participant plays a part and they will be assembled in one or more tracks. Some of you have downloaded the track, but may be a little daunted by the lack of a coherent plan. Not to worry! Because the track is digital, the time is stable, sax tracks can easily be moved around and placed at will, as long as there's some kind of count or way to sync to the backing. This will not be a problem if you start at the second verse or somewhere in the middle of the song. You count to four and start playing. That should do the trick. Listening to my own version, it's pretty bad, just me practicing, so I know you can do better!

UPDATE: I have a nice bari from @Nick Wyver who wisely chose the vocal version in F. That Bb felt good to play on alto, but I could not reach the notes on voice. @Jules @rhysonsax @Veggie Dave @guidocreo please check that vocal version in F and play away. Nick played the whole thing and included a count in so it was easy to sync. We might also think about horn section harmony parts for the short riffs that Nick plays in between verses.

I like the idea. Thank you, randulo. I have no recording equipment (soft ware, redording microphone, headphones) so I think I would play out of tune/pitch, even more than I use to do. Maybe I play a version of your backing track later. I'm moving out my gear to the woodshed this week.

This is what we have so far. Whatever anyone else has done isn't wasted, there can, and I hope, WILL be other versions.

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/sea-cruise
Exactly what are we listening to here?
What is coming from a backing track and what has been recorded by yourself and/or members?

I ask because I'm very interested in this concept, I had planned to ask for sax tracks from members myself once I have the rest of a song down, but I'm not at that stage yet.
I was an audio engineer in a previous life, I went to the School of Audio Engineering and worked in the field for a few years before staying on the other end of microphone, but transfering the skills to digital recording is taking a little while so I'm not ready just yet. Before too long I'll be asking for contributions though, so I'm finding this thread very interesting.

What is coming from a backing track and what has been recorded by yourself and/or members?
That's a good question! I'm going to give a long, detailed answer because you are interested in the process and have the background to do this and more. I record a lot of songs. They are either originals or sax learning exercises like Sea Cruise. Many, like this one start with a chord chart entered into Band in a Box. BiaB can produce multiple audio tracks, so I now use that every time. For jazz, the rhythm sections are often good, with real tracks. If you have a good library, MIDI sounds can also be very good. From the three to five tracks BiaB produces, I import them to Logic on the Mac, but Windows and Linux also have many alternatives. After messing with the levels, I decide what I want to keep. I often end up throwing away one of the two guitars, as I did here in Sea Cruise. The rest is specific to Sea Cruise and your first question.

I did a version in Bb which sounded good to me on alto for certain notes, but when I went to add a vocal, I found it was too high for that. When I went back to BiaB to change the key to F, I also added an intro, which I felt was needed. Back to Logic, I then recorded some guitar for the 4-bar intro and a few embellishments in the first verse. Then I added the vocals, one verse at a time. Cover songs are for fun, and not being much of a singer, I spent very little time on this part.

When Nick's track was available I imported it into the Logic file, syncing the count on his file with the one on the BiaB drums. I picked some parts of the song I wanted to play on, and muted Nick's bari to do that. I played along with his bari at the very end. At this point I did a few volume adjustments on the piano. This is where my own lack of mixing talet probably shows through, because the moves are like a clumsy dancer, but I get it still makes for a little variation in the total sound. Finally, I did something I've never done before. I though this song could use a "top 40" treatment, where a limiter is pushed up too high so the constant energy of the song stays high.

Sometimes, I fly in better drum tracks. This is only possible because BiaB produces a track that never varies in tempo, like a real band might.

Other times I'm forced to fix the awful BiaB uncontrollable endings. That often requires adding a few bass notes, piano chords, guitar riffs.

I believe that may more than you wanted, but I figured if we're going to travel this road, I may as well show you the sights :)

Back
Top Bottom