support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

CafeSaxophone Blues thread..

Apologies for the ignorant question, but which blues scale am I using for "honeyrose" on alto please? Plus can more people please also have a blast on it, would love to hear some more versions. Thanks

Any tips for playing blues scale (g) for alto please.
I know to go from g to c# as this is the "devil chord".....not really sure why.
Any specific patterns or licks that are used specifically in blues?
(sorry, I realise this maybe asking an obvious question), but I do enjoy playing the blues.
Just wanted few tips please. Thanks as always.....

For any note centre, the blues scale is formed by taking the minor pentatonic and adding the lowered 5th note.
So in G, you would need G Bb C D F, then add Db as the lowered 5th, making :
G Bb C Db D F.

You are right, that touching on that lowered 5th (Db) will make anything you play sound more blues-y, after that I would suggest play around and see what you like, but I'm sure others will have more useful advice.

No thank you, I am taking my first jazz theory lesson on Tuesday, so even though I sort of new this, i really do appreciate your reply as it is explained well. Cheers

knew.......wow early morning spelling mistakes again. Have you tried this track and posted it Mandyh?

knew.......wow early morning spelling mistakes again. Have you tried this track and posted it Mandyh?

Gareth you should be able to go back and edit a post,if you make a typo :)

Jx

Nice, Pete! I'm an SBA player myself. Never going to give it away. Here's a version of Honey Rose I did along with a cup of coffee this morning. Enjoy!

Nice to see the "Blues" thread still going strong.:thumb: Great version Marc, thanks for posting. perhaps you might like to check out both the Botm thread and Sotm thread which run every month..

Chris..

Hi Mark, just listening to your track as I write this, really enjoying it. Given me hope to give this tune a go and get some feedback from yourself and others. Been a busy few days with work etc and lessons etc....but cool version.

Right that is it........I have written out all 12 major scales, circled the fifth to work out my 2-5-1's, I am now off until Wednesday. I am gonna post my blues tune over the weekend.
I mean business, this is now serious...........(queue Celion Dionne song "this is getting serious").......then feel sick, then play the blues.......

Thinking of setting up a souncloud account (as everyone who posts appears to use this medium). However, I normally record on my phone, which makes this beginner really sound bad.

So..........if I were to record this blues tune, how the hell do I record onto soundcloud?

Thinking of setting up a souncloud account (as everyone who posts appears to use this medium). However, I normally record on my phone, which makes this beginner really sound bad.

So..........if I were to record this blues tune, how the hell do I record onto soundcloud?

I don't think you do, you upload a file afterwards. But I may be corrected ;)

Jx

@Gareth WG bottom line is you can't do what you want to direct into 'SoundCloud'.

Most guys round here have a minimum of a USB mic and a DigitalAudioWorkstation, DAW for short and a pair of headphones.

Import the backing track mp3 that normally comes with most of the playing based threads round here.
Plug in the headphones, make sure the DAW can find your mic, press record then play along with the backing recording the sax part on a separate track.

Quite a few USB mic's for less than £40 and a few free DAW's if you search. As for headphones anything from ear-bud type to in your face studio ones will work.

Export the finished track as an Mp3 then upload to "SoundCloud".

From there the price goes up and up and up>:)

Chris..

Thanks Chris, brain already melting with scales and circle of fifths and trying to look for 2-5-1 progression......now "technology" as well?
All jokes aside, thank you for your reply, i just text my friend to help. Really want to post some tune, that way i can get some feed back of what i am doing wrong!

Which notes would a guitarist use for this please? Is a guitar concert c pitch, therefore it is Bb blues? Did try and look on internet but a bit confusing.

It's a Bbm blues so you could use a Bb blues scale:
Bb Db Eb E F Ab