support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

CafeSaxophone Blues thread..

Nick, I'll forgive you posting two versions seeing how good they were to listen to. Nice one. Looking forward to some more over the coming weeks.

Thanks.
The first was obviously a bit of a (failed) experiment. I'll drag something other than a soprano out of its case for the next effort.

Very nice playing Pete. I've always thought of you more as a tenor player. Obviously I need to rethink that. You make great use of space in your solo. I especially like the "Parkeresque" lick at about :25 and the use of 9ths in the minor tonics.

Chris says this is open to all so I hope you all don't mind. I'm trying to learn to improvise.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmylh/cafe-blues-1

Last edited:
Very nice playing Pete. I've always thought of you more as a tenor player. Obviously I need to rethink that. You make great use of space in your solo. I especially like the "Parkeresque" lick at about :25 and the use of 9ths in the minor tonics.

Thanks.

No I started out on alto. Tenor is what paid the bills, alto is probably closer to my heart.

This track is not an easy one, I tried to pick up on what I was hearing in the backing - which is what makes most sense when playing to a backing track as opposed to playing live with a rhythm section that follows you as a soloist

Two very different things.

Jimmy and Alun, nice one guys really getting into the spirit of the thread,

Chris..

(Money where mouth is time)
Ok, the chord structure's somewhat different but, who cares, it's jazz, man.
Cafe blues 1
Oh, I see what you mean. Sorry, I thought you were joking. Nice job.

Nice takes all (of course especially Pete!) May try this myself if I get the chance but if not I'll be listening, I love blues!

The Bari seems to be behaving itself recently. I gave it another tweak yesterday and it's playing the best it has since it got knocked over. I hope it's settled down now.

https://app.box.com/s/6g2c30ecrecheefonb6m

I seem to have got a little transfixed by the chord structure. I was particularly fascinated by the Bbm/Bb7+/Ebm transition and the turn around last four bars.

Last edited:
You're sounding really nice Colin, half expected you to start trading 4's with the clarinet in certain parts,:cool:

Chris..

You all sounds great! From the pro's to the semi-pro's to the hobbyplayers .... me like!

I have some blues backing tracks that I would like to share. But I want to have "OK" (from the guys who had written and recorded the songs) before I upload any files.

The BluesSax concept is wide. Jazz, Rock, Chicago, Delta, Country ...... . I'm going to record some songs myself. Maybe the CS staff regrets that the open up the thread!?!?! Right now I'm too busy. Haven't touched my sax for over two months. But hopefully I'll be blowing again soon.

Keep On Honkin'!

Feel a shout coming on.

"Woke up this morning, found the caff's© Blues thread.

Yes I woke up this morning and found the new Blues thread.

Had a bad night, turned round and went back to bed."
You might like the shortest blues ever written: "Didn't wake up this morning".

Jimmyh, I agree with what Thomas said, you're sounding fine on this one.:thumb:

Hey folks it has gone a little quiet round here. Have a
few hours playing some Blues and post on here.:sax:
You know you want to.>:)

Chris..

Hey, I just thought it'd be really interesting to pass a recording along, each one of us adding his/her own wee bit to the ensuing entanglement, sorta likeThe Trumpet Kings did on (well, except they did it all in the same ROOM in those days) on... on.... dayang..... "ain't nobody's business" I think that was the title... Clark Terry, Sweets Edison, Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie... and I think one other. Very brave posting this without resorting to Google..... oh and need to figure out how to record on this laptop.... ooh never mind, just shoot me now. Computers...

Thanks Colin, very thoughtful of you.
(Oh crisis. Now I still have to mess with this bloomin' thing and stop myself bouncing it off a wall a few times.):headscratch: I'm not a technophobe, I just naturally hate anything with a plug on it...This laptop's the heaviest thing I run on my solar, and it chews juice! But it's ancient. Like REALLY ancient.:rolleyes:

Hi @Tenortoon what you have put forward is a nice idea where each can play a chorus and pass the tune along. That is/was the way @Pete Thomas on SOTW did their Blues thread, we thought about it over here but the numbers are lower on the Cafe so we decided to go with a full track per player. I know there haver been a LOT of downloads of the Mp3 so hopefully more guys will have a go then if numbers allow we'll try the multi player option.

Hey guys I know it's nice outside but it a little quiet on here>:):sax:

Chris..

Good point Chris, maybe 42 765 choruses of a tune is a bit excessive. I'm barely able to concentrate through ONE chorus with carrots and potatos. I think my spinach will be fastest to sprout though. If that isn't a clue, I've been building a veggie garden and thus, the silence. I did download the tune again, and Audacity as suggested by Colin. I should have a working chorus before I hit pensionable age.