Tutorials

Cafe Sax weekend away

Mamos

Hi All

Anyone fancy meeting up at a weekend jazz festival?

I have never been to a jazz festival before so this year I am going to go to at least one.

I would like to see some of the UKs new bread of up coming jazz stars and I think I have found a good festival to attend

It is in the Midlands so easy for a lot of the cafe sax members to attend and it would be nice to put faces to names and have a good chin wag.

The festival I have chosen as a must this year is The Mostly Jazz Festival held at Moseley Park in Birmingham on the 3rd & 4th of July.

Jazz, soul & funk

http://www.mostlyjazz.co.uk/home

Artists include:

* Sun Ra Arkestra
* Quantic and his Combo Barbaro
* James Taylor Quartet
* Polar Bear
* Led Bib
* Sister Henry & The Prescriptions
* The Fantastics!
* Lizzy Parks
* Nick Pride & The Pimptones
* The Getup
* Groove Cartel
* Courtney Pine
* Portico Quartet
* Cymande All-Stars
* Andy Hamilton & The Blue Notes
* Bright Size Gypsies
* Steve Ajao
* Sara Colman
* Moon Unit
* Chris Bowden Trio
* MC3
* Beebe

Anyone interested in a bit of a meet up?

mamos

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Mamos

Mamos

Just found this site, albeit about a different festival at Moseley Park, but it gives good travel details and local hotels.
http://www.moseleyfolk.co.uk/visitors
Excellent find.

If we could get a group of us from this site who wanted to go it would be nice to stay in the same hotel or area so we can share taxis or even have a bit of a jam session:sax:

mamos

dooce

Moseley Folk Festival usually has a great line-up and the jazzfest already does. It's no great distance for me so I'm up for either, or even both. Would especially love to see Polar Bear and Led Bib.

OP
Mamos

Mamos

Would especially love to see Polar Bear and Led Bib.
Me too

And Portico quartet. I saw the last year and they were fantastic live. Thankfully they are returning to Cornwall this year to promote their new album.

There is some really exciting new UK talent coming through

I would also be fantastic to see such an iconic group like Sun Ra Arkestra even if Sun Ra has returned to his native Saturn.

mamos

Alas, I won't be in the uk but for all you Francophiles how about a meet here.
July 27, 2010 - August 01, 2010
Location Vannes, France
The Vannes Jazz Festival brings international artists to play in this south Brittany town each summer. Performances take place in the verdant Jardin de Limur and the Auditorium des Carmes.

Since 1980, the festival has welcomed musicians from around the world to the town, with past visitors including the Duke Ellington Orchestra and Dee Dee Bridgwater.

This year the event kicks off with a free concert in the Port of Vannes. Subsequent shows feature Didier Lockwood, Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club, the Carla Bley Big Band, the Archie Shepp Quartet and The Esperanza Spalding Quartet.

France in the summer, paradise found.

dooce

Ominously quiet on this thread. I doubt I can get to the Moseley festy on the Saturday, which means I miss The Arkestra, Led Bib and Polar Bear - but I can get to the Sunday which means Portico Quartet and Courtney Pine.

There is also a good event on the previous weekend, not far away in Lichfield - see here; http://www.lichfieldarts.org.uk/rajb.asp. Not quite such a stellar line-up but Led Bib and Gilad Atzmon can't be bad, and it's only 16 quid for a day ticket, and you get to see them twice if you hang around!

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom