PPT mouthpieces

Café Saxophone Collaboration: "If I be Calm" (new mix)

Account Closed
Last edited by a moderator:
The process of co-writing is extremely gratifying, especially when each person has several layers of musical influence. Different nationalities automatically enhance this further. Early conversations with Randy about music led me to believe that his listening and playing preferences were entrenched in a quite specific area of styles, but as time has gone on he has sent me recordings that have surprised me in a "oh you have that going on too" kind of way. It keeps the whole process exciting as you don't quite know what you might be working on next. I've certainly had to step outside my comfort zone when asked to provide a solo over a few things that Randy has thrown my way.

On the tech side, we share the Logic platform which has helped massively. It ends there though as we don't share 3rd party sounds/plugins. That's a shame, but it is what it is. You have to be very methodical and deliberate about your workflow and initial DAW setup as this can come to a point where it becomes a big problem.

This track came to me pretty much with the whole harmonic architecture in place and with Randy having improvised an alto sax melody over it. His opening line was so strong that I totally went with it when recording the tenor part. It took me several runs to get my head into this tune and not to waver despite being a 'straight through' play. Randy added guitar when he could hear what I'd done with the sax and where the variances in texture were.

The strings came about a month later, after working on another tune that I threw the kitchen sink at. Indeed, had I literally done that it wouldn't have sounded out of sorts. Perhaps Randy can share that on here too. Orchestrating that was really fun. I could indulge my love of Stravinsky, Holst, Ravel... he has to post it now!

he has to post it now!
As much as I would enjoy joking about ransom notes and blackmail, Pete came willingly into this project which now has several songs, most posted here. I have a lot of music that was recorded in studio and I don't have the multi-tracks. If I did, Pete could help make that music more ready for exposure. I have a suggestion, though. There must be tens of thousands of unemployed pro-level string players (maybe some here? at least one I know of). Unfortuntately, probably few know how to record or don't have adequate equipment to record themselves. I contaced a drummer I knew years ago and he had no way to record at all. He never thought of doing it. Do I have to be the one to constantly say, if your playing is not just a hobby, if you don't follow the technology, you'll start swimming downstream to the bottom. Many businesses will not survive the pandemic we are currently experiencing. I strongly believe the a large number of these won't come back. Is this OT? I don't think so. Because

Collaboration online is the present and future of creating and distributing music, as well as teaching and selling it.

PS, my favorites were never online: Debussy, Ravel, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Bizet, nor were Bird, or Trane. Herbie Hancock and everyone on down in age is, though, in a big way.

When I worked in IT, we had a great time with Tunisian, Lebanese and Iranian colleagues we worked with. It dispels the myths that politicians like to purvey about people in other countries. These were among the most cultured and intelligent individuals I've met.

That's why I went out of my way to find this British guy in ON the saxophone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have clarified, I wrote the melody and chord changes and had a rough arrangement. Pete took that and put a lot of work into making it into a song. He is credited as co-composer on the BMI registration. The original (with my on student-level alto) is on Spotify and all those. It's nowhere near the production value and level of saxophone playing as this version. Again, that's why I swam across the channel to find someone in the United Kingdom. Then I flew back, and boy are my arms tired!

Back
Top Bottom