All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Café Saxophone Collaboration: "Dark Design"

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
"Dark Design" was recorded in 1993 with the same gang of players from Tower of Power (Victor Conte, bass, Ronnie Beck, drums) and Herbie Hancock Monster Band (Victor Conte, Nate Ginsberg, keyboards) in a Menlo Park, California studio. The song was never properly mixed but I found a version that had no vocals and asked Pete Effamy if he'd play the melody and solo over it. Here we find Pete playing and me answering on guitar from 27 years ago. Life can take some funny turns.
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fdark-design View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/dark-design

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Thanks some mighty fine playing from Pete and of course a great band.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
"Dark Design" was recorded in 1993 with the same gang of players from Tower of Power (Victor Conte, bass, Ronnie Beck, drums) and Herbie Hancock Monster Band (Victor Conte, Nate Ginsberg, keyboards) in a Menlo Park, California studio. The song was never properly mixed but I found a version that had no vocals and asked Pete Effamy if he'd play the melody and solo over it. Here we find Pete playing and me answering on guitar from 27 years ago. Life can take some funny turns.
https://soundcloud.com/randulo%2Fdark-design View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/dark-design
Excellent work guys - I love it.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
It's gratifying to work with Pete on these tunes, as they were recorded but never even mixed. In those days, you needed a label to finance the costly operations of recording, mixing, mastering and pressing the CDs, plus cover art and promo. Today, you can do 90% of it at home and the rest online for minimal cost, and be available in stores or for steaming within weeks.
When I left Paris , I did not take the 12 reels of 2" 24-track tape. I deeply regret that now, as they could be converted to digital and turned into something even more special.

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
I Confess...I had hardly touched the horn since the Pande,it began....after hearing this I have been back at it twice already....funny how something can trigger the drive

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
I Confess...I had hardly touched the horn since the Pande,it began....after hearing this I have been back at it twice already....funny how something can trigger the drive
Nice to be part of that catalyst. Randy was the catalyst for me getting back to practising a horn and spending some time in the studio again. He has a lot to answer for.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
They don't call me "The Tickler" for nothing! At my advanced age, I can't lose the fever. I'm glad I could spread it! I'm lucky enough to still have the energy to practice daily, even as our current situation mostly does not permit playing for people. I figure it's going to be another year of practice and hopefully, we'll all be that much better, and hungry to play out.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
The local spot I would usually go to is open, but there's no way I am going to hang out with the crowd there. I think if you play a wind instrument, you'd better follow every possible recommendation and rule to not get the virus, as it has been proven to provoke lingering respiratory problems long after being cured.
"Too soon" was a joke, albeit an obscure one, about comparing playing to a fever.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

No members online now.
  • Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sini Sax
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6