Tutorials

Saxophones Cadence baritone and John Packer

Paul Warner

I am so pleased with my new Cadence baritone from John Packer that I feel I should give them a major thumbs up for this instrument. Although it is advertised under the `beginner` section of their listings for some reason, I would certainly classify it as a professional instrument. The tone and projection are quite outstanding. Everything falls beautifully under the fingers and it offers a wonderfully expressive response to the player. I have played a great many baritones as it is my preferred saxophone `of choice`; this one stands comparison with any and very much has the feel of the Yanagisawa I once owned and always regretted having sold. The only observation I would make is that, like the Yani, the low A key is not as immediately accessible as the Yamaha`s- you can`t `roll on` to it as readily as I would like. I will probably try to build up this key at some point and would appreciate any advice in this regard.
In general I wholeheartedly endorse this instrument, and would in future also look carefully at the other Taiwanese instruments J.P.`s also offer before spending more money elsewhere on buying saxes that look remarkably similar to these.
I won`t mention names, but next to the altos I also looked at were a well known and much publicised brand which didn`t look very different in design, materials or general finish to J.P.`s own badged `upper`(i.e. Taiwanese) range. The price, however, was several hundred pounds higher. I would say that if buying a Chinese instrument,then proceed carefully. Some of them are now excellent, even oustanding, but you do tend to get what you pay for. The Taiwanese, however, do seem a class apart, and could be said to produce some of the finest instruments now available.....hence the `Cadence`!:welldone:welldone:welldone

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
The only observation I would make is that, like the Yani, the low A key is not as immediately accessible as the Yamaha`s- you can`t `roll on` to it as readily as I would like.

I'd guess it's a question of what you're used to. I much prefer the Yanag low A over the Yamaha.

dooce

I am so pleased with my new Cadence baritone from John Packer that I feel I should give them a major thumbs up for this instrument. Although it is advertised under the `beginner` section of their listings for some reason, I would certainly classify it as a professional instrument. The tone and projection are quite outstanding. Everything falls beautifully under the fingers and it offers a wonderfully expressive response to the player. I have played a great many baritones as it is my preferred saxophone `of choice`; this one stands comparison with any and very much has the feel of the Yanagisawa I once owned and always regretted having sold. The only observation I would make is that, like the Yani, the low A key is not as immediately accessible as the Yamaha`s- you can`t `roll on` to it as readily as I would like. I will probably try to build up this key at some point and would appreciate any advice in this regard.
In general I wholeheartedly endorse this instrument, and would in future also look carefully at the other Taiwanese instruments J.P.`s also offer before spending more money elsewhere on buying saxes that look remarkably similar to these.
I won`t mention names, but next to the altos I also looked at were a well known and much publicised brand which didn`t look very different in design, materials or general finish to J.P.`s own badged `upper`(i.e. Taiwanese) range. The price, however, was several hundred pounds higher. I would say that if buying a Chinese instrument,then proceed carefully. Some of them are now excellent, even oustanding, but you do tend to get what you pay for. The Taiwanese, however, do seem a class apart, and could be said to produce some of the finest instruments now available.....hence the `Cadence`!:welldone:welldone:welldone

Well put. I don't have your experience but bought my Cadence as a cheap "taster" to see if I got on with the bari before investing in a "proper" named brand. Suffice it to say that I won't be bothering with the second stage of the plan.......

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
How much difference is between the Gear4music bari which is about half the price as the JP Cadence (£2000.00) plus whats the cheaper JP MKII bari like which is about £1200.00.As a not used much horn is it the cheaper 1 which fits the bill ?

Pyrografix

Senile Member
JP often have good deals on their ex demo 'lightly used' instruments - I paid just over half price for my Cadence bari from JP, and find the Cadence a hugely better instrument than the JP044 which I had originally.

Paul Warner

I think the cheaper one is a decent workhorse and very similar to the Gear4M model. In fact, to be frank, it looks the same! The G4M is ok. for straight ahead big band type stuff, and very good for the money without question. It will probably always need a setup built into the purchase price. The Cadence blew me away straight out of the box. It is in another league, and is what I would describe as a soloists` instrument. It has that bit extra in every way, and is every bit as well made and designed, in my opinion, as any of the competition. In fact, my guess would be that it comes from the same factory as much of the competition! It also looks really good; the high copper content of the bell section (described as `American Brass`) really glows- in stage lights the inside of the bell seems to emit a rich, deep red glow (poetic, that!), and contrasts beautifully with the rest of the body which is normal brass. Great for posing, then.
If you`re lucky, or prepared to go on a waiting list, you might also be able to go for a `demo` model at around £1600. An extra special bargain. Given that a G4M will need a setup, bringing it to around the thousand mark, I think it`s a no brainer. However, if you just want a bari for a rehearsal band or similar, the G4M is very hard to beat.

Top Bottom