support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Buying an alto.

I think a BW would be fine if you want a new sax. The Buescher True Tone Tom mentions would also be a good buy if it's in good playing order. They have a great tone, although the ergonomics are not great. At four hundred quid, you can be sure it won't depreciate like a new sax. Lovely things, best value going in vintage saxes.

Jon

I think a BW would be fine if you want a new sax. The Buescher True Tone Tom mentions would also be a good buy if it's in good playing order. They have a great tone, although the ergonomics are not great. At four hundred quid, you can be sure it won't depreciate like a new sax. Lovely things, best value going in vintage saxes.

Jon

The TrueTone does seem to be in excellent condition - "SUPERB", and "...one of the BEST we have seen... good pads, no rod wear..."

If you are in the north east then the shop you really need to visit is Woodwind Exchange in Bradford.You will find new and vintage saxes there and Stuart is a great guy,you will have a good choice of saxes and mouthpieces there.
I second Woodwind Exchange, it's such a fantastic place - just give some of the vintage altos a go. That's how I found my wonderful King Zephyr. If you can handle the action try a Conn New Wonder, they are around 600-700 Pounds.
Juju

Hiya Juju
If you hadn't gone there you would probably have settled for less, based on a more restricted range to choose from.

You have a great sound with that King.
I think it is one Saxophone you will keep for a very long time.

Best wishes

Hey, Jeremy and Mike

I don't recall if you guys told me your locations more specifically, but I am also on the White Coast (inland a bit from Torrevieja) and I have a lovely BW alto which I'd be pleased to let you have a blow on ....if it could be arranged.
I couldn't make Wed mid-day(dentist...arrrgh) or Thursday.

Just let me know if you are interested ...... but don't ask me to demo its wondrous qualities, as I am an incompetent player, even after all these years of lessons :(

Oh, and BTW, I started with a Hanson SA-5, a very nice horn for the price, but now probably overtaken by BW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet in 40 years time that the Woodwind Exchange will still occasionally have some Vintage BW Alto horns for purchase, especially the very rare "Bronze Improved Action" for about £4,500................................;}

Hey, Jeremy and Mike

I don't recall if you guys told me your locations more specifically, but I am also on the White Coast (inland a bit from Torrevieja) and I have a lovely BW alto which I'd be pleased to let you have a blow on ....if it could be arranged.
I couldn't make Wed mid-day(dentist...arrrgh) or Thursday.

Just let me know if you are interested ...... but don't ask me to demo its wondrous qualities, as I am an incompetent player, even after all these years of lessons :(

Oh, and BTW, I started with a Hanson SA-5, a very nice horn for the price, but now probably overtaken by BW.

Hi Rogerb,
I'm at 'Bonalb Golf', just inland from El Campello.
If Mike wants to make arrangements, I'll try and fall in with them.
We will have to try and get together anyway, I'm playing at 'The Jazzboree' in Alicante on the 22nd of this month, start time around midnight, or 'The Frontera', San Juan, every Thursday, same start time. In October I resume at 'On Stage', Gran Alicant.

John.

Hi JJW!

In your price range a BW would be probably the best going. Sax Heaven in Oxford have 2 priced at £499 & £599 respectively, as well as a used Borgani and used Buescher True Tone Alto at £450 and £399 respectively. I am sure many stores would let you try a few mouthpieces so that you have an overall sense of the sound that you want, even if you also take the Selmer C* with you.

Most BW saxes include a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece also, which would be worth a blow.

Kind regards
Tom

Bought my MkVI there, it's a nice job!

John.

I just checked out the site for woodwind exchange. Looks to have some stock. Spooky. Lived on Manningham Lane briefly in the seventies, then round the corner in Cleveland Road. Would love to visit, depends on their shutdown time.