support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Buskmainia 2010

Taz

Busking Oracle
Buskmainia 2010 SATURDAY 15 MAY 13.00 hrs

15 MAY 13.00hrs Chapel Street Rugby

Hi folks, this thread is all about a mad idea that germinated a few months ago, on another thread. I was talking about my busking exploits when Jimu (visionary1) told me about his planned trip around Europe. He decided that during his trip he wanted to play his way around his planned destinations.
So that was the start of it. Dooce then agreed that it sounded like a good idea to meet up and play together on the streets of Rugby.
Now this beast has evolved into a snarling, drooling, slobbering animal (or is that just me :))))
So, this has now become six sax stars, Jimu, Dooce, AndyG, Gladsaxisme, Half Diminished and moi!
The idea is in it's infancy so far and I've emailed the others the following backing tracks,

Summertime,
And I need her
Eight days a week
Georgia on my mind
All my loving
Me and Mrs Jones
When you say nothing at all
She's like the wind
Hero
Blue moon
What a wonderful world

What I suggest is that maybe we should each pick two songs out of our own repertoire to play, that way each player could take the lead on their own tracks and back the rest.

My list therefore is just an idea, if I were to pick two tracks for myself, they would be "She's like the wind," and "Me and Mrs Jones."

By picking two tracks each, it would take our set to around thirty to forty minutes.

If anyone has any suggestions then I would love to here from you. I don't want to monopolise this thing. I just want everyone to enjoy themselves.

It has also been democratically decided that all proceeds including rotten eggs, moldy cabbages, and stinky tomatoes should got to Pete's charity "Band on the wall."
Pete, please don't hold your breath for a life changing amount, speaking for myself, I ain't that good! :)))

Last edited by a moderator:
Taz
I don't suppose I will be allowed out.(it could be a bit far)
But would it be possible for a place, time and date to be published nearer the day so peeps can go to listen, watch and wonder at this musical extravaganza ?:)

Ha ha, I don't know if it will be quite an "Extravaganza", but yes, the date and time will be published on this thread probably. We will need all the support that we can get, so all "Cafe Sax" members will be expected to turn up and be there, unless of course you have a letter from your mum Yes that does include you OG :)))

Taz,

Right up my street is that is that lot; superb collection that joe public I'm sure will enjoy.....:welldone

Few more favourites of mine....:D

Cry Me a River - Ella Fitzgerald
Mack the Knife - Frank Sinatra
Mr Bojangles - Sammy Davis, Jr
Beyond the Sea - Frank Sinatra
New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

P.S. This could be the start of something "BIG"....:w00t:....especially if Simon Cowell is in town that day....:eek:

Pete

Great start. Additionally I have a penchant for several tunes that I'd like to suggest. Three O'Clock In the Morning, Mo Better Blues, Alfie, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, When You Wish Apon A Star.

This is getting more interesting by the minute. Wot do you think?

Oh and what do I do about a hat and do I need shades?

What do you mean "What do I do about a hat and do I need shades?"

Did you not spend weeks, nay, months browsing the many emporium that make up Milton Keynes trying every hat and every pair of sunnies before you purchased the perfect combination, to give you "just that look." I bet you took your time with your lig/mouthpiece/reed combo! :)))

Sorry, to answer your question, of course you need a hat and shades, I mean, what sort of sax player are you? :cool:

Seriously, whatever makes you feel comfortable ;}

Sorry, to answer your question, of course you need a hat and shades, I mean, what sort of sax player are you? :cool:

Seriously, whatever makes you feel comfortable ;}

Right on Taz.....if you've got a head, you sure need a hat! Half Dim , You'll look outaplace without one.......IMHO.

Jimu:mrcool

Did you not spend weeks, nay, months browsing the many emporium that make up Milton Keynes trying every hat and every pair of sunnies before you purchased the perfect combination, to give you "just that look." I bet you took your time with your lig/mouthpiece/reed combo! :)))

No and yes.

Better get on with finding a hat. Not so sure about the shades as I'm blind as a bat without me specs so if there anything to read I'm bugad.

Oh and what about adding classic tunes to our repertoire:

• Lily Was Here
  • Pick up the pieces
  • Pink Panther
  • Your latest trick
  • An Englishman in New York (anyone gonna play sop?)
  • Baker Street

Ha ha, I don't know if it will be quite an "Extravaganza", but yes, the date and time will be published on this thread probably. We will need all the support that we can get, so all "Cafe Sax" members will be expected to turn up and be there, unless of course you have a letter from your mum Yes that does include you OG :)))

After the Croydon Twenty-Four Hour Mistletoe and Wine Saxophone Festival my mum will let me go but the Police wont.

If you can get down to Jonnie Myall's on a Thursday, might get Griff out as well as the CaSLM, if not, will be willing to starve for another week by transferring part of my pension to Pete.

My picks for tunes would be any of these:

Stormy Weather
The Girl from Ipanema
Round Midnight
Pink Panther
When Sonny Gets Blue
Land of Hope and Glory (seeing we're in Rugby)
These foolish things (seeing we're in Rugby)
&...Standing on the Corner (seeing we're in Rugby)

Just thought I'd let you all know, I've just mastered the art of playing soprano while riding a unicycle, and will be doing some street theatre with it tomorrow (even getting paid) I will be taking at least three hats and hope to get some proof to confirm my stupidity

So by May who knows what I'll be doing, certainly not I. So now is your chance to do some really weird busking.
To match the Rugby-ites...beware the ites of May.

Cheers

All arrived thanks Pete. I'm happy to play any of the stuff suggested but we got to keep this in perspective - 6 blokes of varying abilities are meeting up for the first (and probably last!) time to play together, without rehearsal, to the public (poor sods). We don't need a repertoire of 30-odd songs, we just need a few nice simple tunes that everyone knows and that those of us who can, are able to busk over and do a bit of harmonising - otherwise it will sound like a right old dogs dinner..........

All arrived thanks Pete. I'm happy to play any of the stuff suggested but we got to keep this in perspective - 6 blokes of varying abilities are meeting up for the first (and probably last!) time to play together, without rehearsal, to the public (poor sods). We don't need a repertoire of 30-odd songs, we just need a few nice simple tunes that everyone knows and that those of us who can, are able to busk over and do a bit of harmonising - otherwise it will sound like a right old dogs dinner..........

Well personally I'm offended. Dogs dinner, moi :w00t:

I thought we were just suggesting a few tunes/alternatives and that the final list was yet to be decided. Or should I get my coat. >:)

G'day Kev I might be the only one, although I have played in Stuttgart before with no trouble You can always practise up and we'll play some german songs...... even classical!!!!...together......right?

Ciao

I'm way behind you in ability, I'm sure. But will welcome you here with open arms. I'd better warn my wife well in advance! I'll ask her to talk to the Munich people and find out what's invovled in busking there. seems too organised to be a free for all. From what I've seen the best spots are booked somewhere - and the buskers get a time there, then move on and someone else takes their place. I'm striclty spectating for now.