support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Busking weather has finally returned!

Taz

Busking Oracle
About time too!

I finally got my new busking box out of the cupboard today, dusted it off and went into Daventry with my tenor. It was actualy sunny enough to warrant wearing the shades. I've not played on a Saturday before, preferring the busier market days. My favourite being a Thursday.

Well, I arrived at my favourite spot at about ten thirty and set up immediately. The new Ion Tailgater is a fantastic piece of kit. It's smaller and a lot lighter than my old Empybuskbox! One charge of the battery will last me for two or three busking sessions and several practices too! The volume is absolutely spot on and the audio quality is perfect! With twenty tracks loaded up on my ipod, I was set for an enjoyable day.

I've added a couple of new tracks to my repertoire, namely "Tears in Heaven" and "To make you feel my love." I was pleasantly surprised at how well the latter was received. I overheard a couple of young girls saying that they loved the song. Thanks Adele!

I enjoyed myself so much that I remained in my chosen location all day and I repeated my set three times. By my reckoning, that must be about three hours. I left feeling very weary but very, very satisfied. I'd spent three lovely hours standing in the sunshine, in a fairly sheltered spot, doing what I love. Playing my sax.

I always put my earnings into a bag when I'm finished and I was pleasantly surprised to see how full it was. When I got home i did the maths. £110 pounds! That's £36 pounds an hour! Can't be bad!

So, if any of you are still thinking about going out busking and haven't taken the plunge yet, stop thinking about it and just do it!

So, if any of you are still thinking about going out busking and haven't taken the plunge yet, stop thinking about it and just do it!

My wife's cousin learned to play piano when he was young. Then he learned to play the tuba (Salvation Army background influence). As a student he and his friends would often busk outside the Royal Festival Hall for fun - and to earn a few bob!

He is now a very successful (Grammy Award winner) conductor of a well-known symphony orchestra and is a composer. So busking can lead to many things!

I wish I could play well enough to do it. All strength to you Taz. And I really like your web site.

Hi taz nice to hear to still out and about matey. taz what do yo use for the busking eg what is the Ion Tailgater ? and what would it cost for me to set myself up .\i know its a long Q so only answer when you got some time to spare mate, Thanks tom.

Hi Tom, its a reasonable question I think. The Tailgaiter is a battery powered amplifier that has an ipod docking station built into it. Therefore all you need are some backing tracks, an ipod and some spare time! Simples! I think you can get the tailgaiter for around £100 -£150
Have fun

There are also the DJ Tech kits which I have used and they sound really good too. They have the iPod option, USB/SD card option or simply attach an mp3 player into it using a lead.
There are a few on eBay starting from about £130, cheaper if you can get a used one. I managed to find a new one for £70 including shipping so worth looking around.
And well done Taz...

I too had an enjoyable 1hr 40 minutes busking in the sun today in Burton Upon Trent with a female vocalist and some backing tracks. Its the second time we have busked together along with a few open mic nights. It wasn't particularly busy but we had a great time.
Oh ..and we made £30
More of this weather PLEASE.

Nice one Andy. You've taken to the old busking lark like a duck to water! Brilliant! I bet that sounded nice. What sort of voice does she have. I've always wanted to meet and duet with an Alison Moyet sound-a-like!
Also, what material did you perform?

Nice one Andy. You've taken to the old busking lark like a duck to water! Brilliant! I bet that sounded nice. What sort of voice does she have. I've always wanted to meet and duet with an Alison Moyet sound-a-like!
Also, what material did you perform?

Thanks Taz. Funny you should say that as she is a bit Alison Moyet sound a like maybe not quite so deep.
We did all sorts from Will you and echo beach to Love me or leave me, smooth operator, Just the way you are, Hit the road Jack, Make you feel my love, Where did our love go, Stupid Cupid.....blimey the list goes on......My baby just cares for me, Pack up... and a few others so quite a variety really.
We always seem to get really encouraging feedback too when we perform which is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep at it guys & well done;}.
Taz, I really enjoyed your sound clip:welldone. It made me hanker after a bari, but without another sax in the band, I'm stymied:crying:
Wish I'd not sold my Buescher all those years ago.

John,

Back to the world of busking myself over the next month- drafted back into my old blues/ rock & roll outfit for a few gigs (shall we rehearse- nah, just busk for the days leading up to the gigs)…. Gob irons through a pig nose amp (very useful in that they’ve got built in rechargeable batteries)….. got to get my blues harp chops back up to speed.

Back to the world of busking myself over the next month- drafted back into my old blues/ rock & roll outfit for a few gigs (shall we rehearse- nah, just busk for the days leading up to the gigs)…. Gob irons through a pig nose amp (very useful in that they’ve got built in rechargeable batteries)….. got to get my blues harp chops back up to speed.

I'm sure you will have loads of fun. I'm hoping to do some more but too much work on now.