SYOS

Bum notes

jeremyjuicewah

Hi. Am playing new alto and tenor, both Yamaha and am experiencing a new difficulty. Coming down in the higher octave F to E, the E sounds badly, E to Eb, the Eb is worse, Eb to D the D often does not sound at all. First had this with the alto and spent some time making sure it wasnt bad fingering, bad embouchure, just plain me, but then the tenor arrived and have the same thing but not so bad. Havent noticed this before on the same excercises with different alto. Never had a tenor before. Can sometimes overcome it with embouchure if I am ready for it, but not always. If I try the note change in isolation, not as part of the arpeggio, it sometimes happens, not always. If its just me I can overcome it but if anyone suspects an adjustment is needed I would be grateful to know.
Best wishes
Mike

jeremyjuicewah

Sorry guys. May be wasting your time here. There is a problem with D and its worse coming down to it. I will take it to teacher on Fri. Something not seating or something minor I would think. The sax is new and may need a bit of a tweak.
Best wishes
Mike

griff136

Hi Mike - check that when at rest (i.e. not -pressing any keys) the octave shift lever (the bit that sticks up from the top of the body before you put the crook on) is not touching the crook key - there should be a gap of around 0.5mm - if the ring is touching the shift lever then the crook octave pad will not close fully when at rest.

jeremyjuicewah

Hi Griff. Just checked that and the clearance is there. I will have a more thorough look at things later today when I get to practicing. Meanwhile, thanks for the answer.

Top Bottom