All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Building survey report

Tommy Ng

Hi

I am buying a property now and my solicitor requested a copy of building survey report which i don't have. Is it a legal requirement that the buyer should have this report?

:confused:

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
http://www.home.co.uk/guides/buying/vands.htm

I don't believe it's a legal requirement, however if you are taking a mortgage your lender will insist on you paying for a basic valuation/survey. I have given a link to some useful advise. Good luck with the house :)

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
No, that was part of the 'Seller's Pack' that has been abandoned.
Otherwise it is as Sue says.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Common sense says get a proper survey done. If you buy somewhere and find dry rot or some other serious problems, you'll be a long way out of pocket.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Common sense says get a proper survey done.
Yes and no. I've found that a friendly and knowledgeable builder will give you a much better idea than many so called surveyors.

I've had a few surveys done (at a cost of around £1K) that are very superficial and include disclaimers such as "I was unable to gain access to certain areas, lift carpets or floorboards so cannot...blah blah blah".

They make a big deal of obvious things like a crack in the brickwork, that any decent builder will see and give you a much more realistic idea of whether its indicative of a serious problem or just a crack that needs repointing and will be good for another 100 years.

Of course, you do need to know a good and honest builder.

The mortgage company survey is no good at all for structural stuff, it's purely a glorified valuation.

dooce

Yes and no. I've found that a friendly and knowledgeable builder will give you a much better idea than many so called surveyors.

I've had a few surveys done (at a cost of around £1K) that are very superficial and include disclaimers such as "I was unable to gain access to certain areas, lift carpets or floorboards so cannot...blah blah blah".
The reason for that would be that if the survey turns out to be hopelessly wrong or inadequate, Joe Bloggs Builders will hold their hands up and say, whoa, did me best mate, and no-one will consider suing them because they don't have enough assets to make it worthwhile. A surveyor, on the other hand, is required to have Professional Indemnity Insurance and dis-satisfied clients have no reluctance in suing. So if he can't see into a floor or roof void, he isn't going to stick his neck, or insurance premium, on the line by guessing what is there.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom