Bugger..!

SaxinNZ

After only just recently getting my BW Tenor, and trying to get that ‘Dick Parry’ sound (one of my many reasons for starting to play in the first place), I have only just realised that I need a Baritone sax!!! Bugger!

If only I had stuck with the alto, but no, I was seduced by the deep dark tones of the tenor in a bid to sound just a little like I could pass off for a half decent Dick Parry wannabe. Then I have to try a few passes at “Shine on you crazy diamond”, now why the heck did I have to go and do that huh!!!

I blame Pete (sorry Pete) as much as anyone, with his excellent sound clips, great website and wotnot!!! How on earth do I tell my wife that I may be looking to get another sax, when the tenor I recently acquired isn’t even over her jetlag yet????

I ask you (yes you Pete), when does all this madness stop? Is it a disease? Is there any cure?:confused:

Yours respectfully

PS I might not get to read any reply’s for a while, as I have to work out how to get the internet out in the shed, which is where I appear to now be living after my wife saw me noting down the prices of various baritone’s!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
lol - but he also played tenor on the Floyd tracks. There's some excellent footage of him coming on stage with both in Roger Waters 'The Wall' live from Berlin....

And Wlan will get the internet to your shed...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
...are you sure DP's famous solos aren't tenor? I'm not a great floyd listened but I remember the classic floyd sax sound as being tenor....
Anyway- tenors are the greatest!! Woo Hoo! (excluding morphine)

Last edited by a moderator:

fishpond

The only videos/clips I have seen of Pink Floyd.
Dick Parry is playing the tenor.
Not disputing that he may have also played the baritone on some tracks, just never seen it.
Trying to save you money:)

Edit
Sorry, just watched a clip live in 1994, yes, he is playing the bari, I learn something everyday.
Looks like another sax for your collection is needed

SteveK

I'm very tempted by a Baritone but I am held back by the fact that it is written in the bass cleff and as the 'only person in town' who plays Bari you'd end up always playing it !

.... Oh, and of course there is the issue of being kicked out of my home and having to live in my car :)

Steve

Taz

Busking Oracle
This gives me the excuse I needed to post this. Dick, possibly at his best (although I don't recommend you try to change between instruments like this unless you live near Griff! :shocked:)

rhysonsax

I'm very tempted by a Baritone but I am held back by the fact that it is written in the bass cleff and as the 'only person in town' who plays Bari you'd end up always playing it !
Bari is written in the treble clef and the fingering is identical to all the other saxes.

There you are, no more excuses, you'll have to get a bari.

Rhys

PS If you got a bari then maybe you could dep for me in the Farnham Big Band just down the other end of the Hog's Back from Guildford.

PPS You get used to living in the shed or car after a while (I've got three baritones, although one is on semi-permannet loan at the moment).

SteveK

Bari is written in the treble clef and the fingering is identical to all the other saxes.

There you are, no more excuses, you'll have to get a bari.

Rhys

PS If you got a bari then maybe you could dep for me in the Farnham Big Band just down the other end of the Hog's Back from Guildford.

PPS You get used to living in the shed or car after a while (I've got three baritones, although one is on semi-permannet loan at the moment).
I play for PUMA in Guildford - I think some of your players play for us as well. I know the fingering is the same.
Our bari scores are always in the bass cleff - I think?
You just proved my point - once a bari player always a bari player. ;}
Steve

rhysonsax

I know the fingering is the same.
Our bari scores are always in the bass cleff - I think?
Sometimes the bari line is shown in the conductor's score in bass clef (i.e. at non-transposed, concert pitch) but it is always in treble clef for the bari sax part that we play. As Pete's own website says (Saxophone Transposition chart and transposing information ) the baritone sax transposition is up a major 13.

Rhys

SteveK

Rhys,
Thanks for putting me straight - I am very pleased to hear that. I'm probably still not going to rush out and buy one (as much as I'd like to) but one of these days!

Steve

Top Bottom